Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma, is it good or bad?

tag
SMikulski49
Regular Contributor

Credit Karma, is it good or bad?

Hey guys, I just learned of a website called Credit Karma, and it shows you for FREE your credit score (i know its not fico score) and it shows your credit report. You can also update it often and see how you are doing.

Has anyone else used this website? Any thoughts on it?

Thanks,

Stan

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Karma, is it good or bad?

I look at it regularly since it includes the information that is on your TU report. The two scores available are better off being ignored completely. The TransRisk is their normal score and is used by NO lender. The other score that is available is the Vantage, which is used by a very tiny number of lenders.

Message 2 of 9
Ms-Kato
Contributor

@GregB wrote:

I look at it regularly since it includes the information that is on your TU report. The two scores available are better off being ignored completely. The TransRisk is their normal score and is used by NO lender. The other score that is available is the Vantage, which is used by a very tiny number of lenders.

I wish all lenders would use the Vantage score..it's my highest at 711 Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 9
geronimo2008
Regular Contributor

@GregB wrote:

I agree.   If I want to check what info TU has I go there to check  but the scores usea different algoriyhm entirely from FICO.   If the info is what you want go for it.  if the score is waht you want it is not necessily close or "good enough"  It is just another score.

Message 4 of 9
teenastie
Established Contributor

I love CK.

The Good: It allows me to get an idea as to when my credit cards report to TU. I can also get my utilization, and I can see when a new TL reports to my CR. I recently had a new inquiry and CK advised me promptly and accurately.

The Bad: You cannot see your actual CR. So if a new TL shows it is difficult to know what exactly is reporting. Also, their card recommendations are less than stellar. According to them I only qualified for an Orchard card. If I followed their recommendations I would not have an Amex Zync, nor a new Barclays card.

The Ugly: The scoring is something to laugh at! CK's algorithms is geared towards revolving TL's. I started with 2 credit cards totaling $2600 with 20% reporting CK gave me a 667 credit score. I added one card with a $300 dollar limit and my score went up to 697 (with added inq). I closed that same account in a month and my score went down to 627 (utility went down to 9%). I recently opened a new revolving TL with $2500 balance the score went back up to 697 (16% utl reporting). Myfico score was a bit more consistent reporting in the 660-670 range.

I generally use CK as a guideline as to when I can check my Fico score or pull the trigger on a new TL. The service has it's uses however, scoring is NOT one of them. And I'm pretty sure Chase and Capital One have stock in their product!

As always YMMV Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 9
Regular Contributor

I really like CK. They give you a watered down credit report and a credit score for free. Which is better than other companies that charge $20 for the same thing. I also like how they show you how you compare with other customers.

Message 6 of 9
johnnie198x
Contributor

@teenastie wrote:

I love CK.

The Good: It allows me to get an idea as to when my credit cards report to TU. I can also get my utilization, and I can see when a new TL reports to my CR. I recently had a new inquiry and CK advised me promptly and accurately.

The Bad: You cannot see your actual CR. So if a new TL shows it is difficult to know what exactly is reporting. Also, their card recommendations are less than stellar. According to them I only qualified for an Orchard card. If I followed their recommendations I would not have an Amex Zync, nor a new Barclays card.

The Ugly: The scoring is something to laugh at! CK's algorithms is geared towards revolving TL's. I started with 2 credit cards totaling $2600 with 20% reporting CK gave me a 667 credit score. I added one card with a $300 dollar limit and my score went up to 697 (with added inq). I closed that same account in a month and my score went down to 627 (utility went down to 9%). I recently opened a new revolving TL with $2500 balance the score went back up to 697 (16% utl reporting). Myfico score was a bit more consistent reporting in the 660-670 range.

I generally use CK as a guideline as to when I can check my Fico score or pull the trigger on a new TL. The service has it's uses however, scoring is NOT one of them. And I'm pretty sure Chase and Capital One have stock in their product!

As always YMMV Smiley Wink

I don't know how their score works, but when my total credit line goes from 27k to 32k, and util went from 23% to 16%, my score went from 745 to 710.

AmEx Blue Cash Everyday - $1,100 - need CLI or will close
BankAmerica Cash Rewards - $10,000
Chase Freedom - $10,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5,000
Chase Ink Bold - $5,000
Citi Platinum Select - $2,600
Discover More - $4,000
Message 7 of 9
brother7
Established Contributor

I have no faith in the actual numerical values of the TransRisk and Vantage credit scores offered by CK. However, I use it to track the general trend of my score, whether it goes up or down over time.

Being a credit score junkie, I've made it part of the routine to check it weekly, every Sunday night before I go to sleep. If you're less compulsive, a monthly check, say on the last day of the month, would be useful for trend-tracking.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 8 of 9
teenastie
Established Contributor

@brother7 wrote:

I have no faith in the actual numerical values of the TransRisk and Vantage credit scores offered by CK. However, I use it to track the general trend of my score, whether it goes up or down over time.

Being a credit score junkie, I've made it part of the routine to check it weekly, every Sunday night before I go to sleep. If you're less compulsive, a monthly check, say on the last day of the month, would be useful for trend-tracking.

I check it daily to see when my TL's report Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.