Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma scores no basis in reality

tag
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

Credit Karma scores no basis in reality

Hello, I had been skeptical about my Credit Karma score and basing anything about my eligibility off of them

Credit Karma reports my Transunion score as 778 and updates every 5 days.

Barclays finally updated to November and reports my Transunion score as 730. This is a large difference.

A recent application showed my Experian score as 718, for October.

Credit Karma has a highly inflates score.

All three of those sources are supposedly not FAKOs, but I understand there are several legitimate scoring models right now. It is just aggravating that I don't know exactly where I stand credit score wise, in finer granularity. I get that I can get all three scores once a year for free, but I have been able to move my credit scores by a factor of 100 points both up and down in a year's time, so this is not a very helpful reality.

Discuss?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma scores no basis in reality

I just had my credit pulled by a lender for a mortgage and I must say my FAKO score were closer to the lender than the scores I got here at MYFICO. I pulled Quizzle for EQ, CK for TU and CS for EX and the biggest different was about 10 points . However , MYFICO was 30-60 points off.

@gen-specific wrote:

Hello, I had been skeptical about my Credit Karma score and basing anything about my eligibility off of them

Barclays finally updated to November and reports my Transunion score as 730. This is a large difference.

All three of those sources are supposedly not FAKOs, but I understand there are several legitimate scoring models right now. It is just aggravating that I don't know exactly where I stand credit score wise, in finer granularity. I get that I can get all three scores once a year for free, but I have been able to move my credit scores by a factor of 100 points both up and down in a year's time, so this is not a very helpful reality.

Discuss?

Message 2 of 26
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just had my credit pulled by a lender for a mortgage and I must say my FAKO score were closer to the lender than the scores I got here at MYFICO. I pulled Quizzle for EQ, CK for TU and CS for EX and the biggest different was about 10 points . However , MYFICO was 30-60 points off.

@gen-specific wrote:

Discuss?

mortgages are 04 scores while here there are 08 scores which could be part of the reason why the scores were an bit off. As far as CK goes since they don't count closed accounts that are still reporting on your credit report, that can be part of the reason their scores are way off. Right now mine are about 40-45 points off my TU08 i have been getting from discover/wally. Also i only really use CK for credit monitoring, also i use CS for that same service. Free credit monitoring is not bad to have. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

Discuss?

mortgages are 04 scores while here there are 08 scores which could be part of the reason why the scores were an bit off. As far as CK goes since they don't count closed accounts that are still reporting on your credit report, that can be part of the reason their scores are way off. Right now mine are about 40-45 points off my TU08 i have been getting from discover/wally. Also i only really use CK for credit monitoring, also i use CS for that same service. Free credit monitoring is not bad to have. 

y
Yes the models are different- however, you would not think the FAKO scores would me closer to what the lenders really use, I would think ppl buy MYFICO because of the accuracy. This was a waste of my money, they all have the same data FAKO vs FICO and being that my scores were much much closer to what the lenders pulled I WANT A REFUND LOL. Most ppl following their credit closely like this is in the market to obtain credit somewhere so knowing what I know now I wish I didnt waste my money
Message 4 of 26
skigirl916
Established Contributor

@gen-specific wrote:

I have the opposite experience.  CK shows me about 30 points lower than TU, and 15 points lower than my lowest EQ.

Message 5 of 26
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@skigirl916 wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

I have the opposite experience.  CK shows me about 30 points lower than TU, and 15 points lower than my lowest EQ.

My TU "score" at CK is 75 points lower than my TU pulled here.

It's less than useless.

Message 6 of 26
uswala
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@skigirl916 wrote:

@gen-specific wrote:

My TU "score" at CK is 75 points lower than my TU pulled here.

It's less than useless.

Mine TU score through CK is also 61 points lower than my TU score through Discover. 

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

All the scores you can pull yourself are fake . Even my fico . I learned that the hard way . Don't app for anything based on scores you see here or on places like CK . Just go by your report .
Message 8 of 26
Ragelog
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
All the scores you can pull yourself are fake . Even my fico . I learned that the hard way . Don't app for anything based on scores you see here or on places like CK . Just go by your report .

The myfico score is real if the place you are applying to uses the EQ08 score. However if you apply somewhere using a EQ04 or Auto Enhanced or one of the other more specialized EQ Fico scores it will be different. That doesn't mean the myfico score is wrong it's just not being compared to the same score.

I learned this the positive way my EQ08 score was 645 I applied for a DCU refinance expecting a ok rate found out my EQ04 rate was a 683 so got their best possible rate/terms. 

EQ04 675, EQ08 676, EX08 719, TU08 703 $12704.75/$123050 Revolving Credit (All 0% or 1.99%) - In Garden Since 5/25/2016

Last negative item should fall off in July 2017.
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, there really is a huge difference. Credit Karma reports my TU score as 726, which is pretty good, but myFico reports my TU score as 655, which is more than a 70 point disparity. 

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.