Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Increase and Credit Score Drop

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Limit Increase and Credit Score Drop

Yes. That simulator should be wrong (highly simplified, giving error). It does not have any senario to increase balance significantly and afterward, apply CLI to see what happens.

CK provides VS. Its simulator includes both CLI and balance increase/decrease but only one senario at a time. For CLI in case of a small balance, it gives +1 increase but not negative. It says:

• If you can get a higher credit limit and keep your balances stable, you'd be using a lower percentage of your available credit. That could cause a credit score increase.

VS is very different from Fico8 but the above reason seems to be the only way that a CLI can change Fico8.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best simulators are the well versed individuals on this forum.  I'm confident that if someone provided their full profile data and asked what would happen if they did X, 5 knowledgeable people from this forum would shoot out predictions based on that data and IMO all 5 predictions would be "better" than what any simulator would provide.

Message 12 of 23
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@xenon3030 wrote:

I think, I am wrong. I used EX simulator and if I do CLI, it shows -4-5 Fico8 score drop. What is the reason?

The simulator is wrong.  A CLI would not result in a score drop.  The only way that would be possible is if two things happened as a result of the CLI.  One, the CLI brought the limit of the card to an amount so high that FICO disregarded it from utilization all together. This amount wouldn't be any lower than $50k, but could be higher, say $60k+.  Two, if the algorithm did exclude this high credit line, it would have to result in aggregate utilization then crossing a threshold.  That being said, if aggregate utilization does cross a threshold, a change of 4-5 points wouldn't be possible; The change would be greater than that.  And, if the monster credit limit that received a CLI in this illustration was your only card reporting a balance and it resulted in it being excluded from utilization meaning that all zero balances were reported, the score drop would be more like 15-25 points, so again, a 4-5 point change wouldn't be possible really under any circumstances that I can think of here.  The bottom line is that you can't trust simulators.

If the CLI was card holder requested and the request triggered a HP then a 3 to 8 point score drop would not be unusual. Of course impact could also be zero points depending on before/after HP count and scorecard assignment. Back in 2014 I requested and was granted a CLI on my Best Buy store card. The request triggered a HP on EQ which I was unaware of at the time. 

In general I would expect unbuffered Classic Fico 8 scores to naturally fluctuate +/- 5 points. I see swings of that magnitude associated with Fico 8 Auto & Bankcard enhanced scores due to changes in # of cards reporting. I consider the fluctuations natural variation and not nothing to worry about. Not a proponent of micromanaging payments in an attempt to avoid minor score fluctuations.

Cards reporting and revolving utilization have no historical impact. Of course, aggregate utilization should be maintained at a responsible level (say under 29%) to avoid potential adverse action. Small score variations (under 5 points) are hard to pin down - particularly on active files. 

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

True that an added inquiry could result in a 4-5 point drop, but simulators don't ask whether a CLI is from the result of a SP or HP.  The bottom line is that they don't account for nearly enough variables to be at all accurate IMO.

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My credit score dropped 7 points from almost my VS card limit increase going from 300 to 650. I have a 0 balance. I was a little upset.
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
My credit score dropped 7 points from almost my VS card limit increase going from 300 to 650. I have a 0 balance. I was a little upset.

Your score didn't drop from the credit limit increase.  It could have dropped due to going to all cards reporting zero balances when at least one previously was reporting a balance though.  Perhaps that played a role here.  The CLI would not drop your score though.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

The exact thing happened to me. My VS CC CLI from $700 to $1200 and my score dropped 6 pts. My balance was and still is zero. I'm confused! I'd also paid down other debt going from 28% to 24% utilization and my score dropped another 2 pts.
Message 17 of 23
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Did they pull a credit report and add a hard inquiry to your profile?

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousThe exact thing happened to me. My VS CC CLI from $700 to $1200 and my score dropped 6 pts. My balance was and still is zero. I'm confused! I'd also paid down other debt going from 28% to 24% utilization and my score dropped another 2 pts.

Again, it's impossible for a score drop to occur from a CLI.  You may be receiving an alert that your credit line was increased and at the time are provided with a new score, but that score change is not related to the CLI.  If your score dropped, it was due to something other than the CLI.

Sometimes a hard inquiry can be added from a CLI request, and a HP can cause a score drop.  The drop from this scenario though is from the inquiry not the CLI itself.  If you check your report and do not see an added HP, your score did not drop from an inquiry either.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are no HP. I got 4 alerts today saying. EX- drop -2pts Utilization from 40% to 4% on Cap1. EQ-The balance on your Chase acct decreased by $47 -5pts. EX- Credit limit increase Victoria Secret $700 to $1200 -2pts. EX- Credit limit increase OVERSTOCK $950 to $2450. Two days ago I got an alert from EX saying my score increase 8pts for paying my chase card. No HP and no other obvious reasons for score to decrease with paying down debt and increasing CL. Just seems weird...
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.