cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Report / Score during dispute? My lates are gone.

tag
srockafe

Credit Report / Score during dispute? My lates are gone.

I'm looking for some specific info regarding how a dispute I made recently with some student loans is effecting my credit score/report.

Background info:

When searching for a home, I pulled my TU score from here and was devastated to find some incorrect student loan lates from the DirectLoans/ACS myedaccount.com website changeover from 2011/2012 knocking my score into the lower 600s.  I called around and got nowhere with DirectLoan/ACS customer service so I filed a dispute with EQ and TU on their websites.

I pulled my TU and EQ report on here the next day and saw that EQ added notation to my report to say "customer dispute, reinvestigation in progress", but no change to my score or the lates.  That same day I found the Department of Education's ombudsman may be able to help so I contacted that office and left my information and relevant documentation. 

About a week and a half later I checked my CK score and it jumped close to 60 pts showing my payment history was updated to 100%.  Curiously, I pulled my EQ report again and my score jumped 90+ pts into the 700s and the late payment graph did not have the late payment history displayed.  I then pulled my TU report on here and each month that was previously reported as late and in red is now green and on time.  I finally pulled my free annual CR from Experian and there was no late payments and no dispute notation.  I didn't bother trying to find a fako EX score, but I have yet to hear back from any agency or the DoE on a decision so I decided to come here.

My question is:

Did the DoE finally update and fix the reported lates or could this just be how the reports look during a dispute?  If it's just the dispute process I started then why is EQ the only CRA that put the dispute notation?

Thanks!! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Report / Score during dispute? My lates are gone.

Maybe it's possible that TU updated the account within a day of the dispute? That would explain the change and absence of the baddies. Likewise with EQ, maybe EQ hadn't settled the dispute just yet, but the creditor made changes on their own and that can explain the change in the payment history.

Message 2 of 4
srockafe

You were 100% correct.  I got a call today from the DoE Ombudsman office and it looks like they contacted ACS and ACS updated my report a week or so ago, which explains the change to greens, but I'm confused why EQ still has dispute comments showing if I disputed before they made the changes.  Shouldn't the change in reporting trigger them to remove the dispute comments?  It looks like I need to contact Equifax to get the dispute comments removed before I submit my mortgage application.  Any advice on that?

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@srockafe wrote:

You were 100% correct.  I got a call today from the DoE Ombudsman office and it looks like they contacted ACS and ACS updated my report a week or so ago, which explains the change to greens, but I'm confused why EQ still has dispute comments showing if I disputed before they made the changes.  Shouldn't the change in reporting trigger them to remove the dispute comments?  It looks like I need to contact Equifax to get the dispute comments removed before I submit my mortgage application.  Any advice on that?

Even if the TU dispute is resolved, and the creditor is cool with everything, EQ still has to wrap up their investigation. You can contact EQ and they can remove the comment.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.