Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Report vs. Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Report vs. Credit Score

Well, I'm growing up (23) and I guess adults are supposed to know about these things.  So I bought all three from myFICO - 756 from TU, 768 from EQ, and 778 from EX - and so good enough I guess.  My wife got 760 from EQ, but the others couldn't be purchased.

I have questions.  But I will post make separate threads to help the forums specify topics.

What's the difference between annualcreditreport.com 'credit reports' and myfico.com 'credit scores'? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Report vs. Credit Score

Your credit report is a summary of the data in your credit file, as reported by creditors to one or more of the CRAs.  Creditors are not required to report to CRAs, and it costs them money to do so.  Big creditors report to all three, but some report to none, one, or only two.

Credit scores are mathematical models (algorithms) that access the data in your CR, and generate a score based on that data.. Anyone can develop their own models, and then market a score, provided they have contracted for access to your CR. The most prominant model on the market is the FICO score developed by FairIsaac.  FairIsaac does not maintain the data used to produce a FICO score..... the CRAs do this, and license the FICO model from FAirIsaac to then generate your FICO score.

The FICO model will not produce a FICO score unless the data at the CRA shows at least 6 months of credit history on at least one account.  So apparently, the OC for your wife's account is reporting only to EQ.  That is their perogative.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.