Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Drop because of Zero balances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score Drop because of Zero balances

On the 1st of August I applied for two Amex cards, the BCE and the PRG, I had a pre qual letter for the PRG but I got denied for that, 75k points missed out on, but I was approved for the BCE which I didn't have a pre qual for.

My Experian score was 673 and my TU was knocking on 700s' door, but when my payment for my quicksilver went through, which I left a $10 balance on purpose in hopes it would show 1% utility, instead my credit dropped to 640 on both FICOs and they both say I have a 0% utility. So I'm guessing I need to leave quite a bit on one card to get a better score? before I had a balance of $1,600. Currently somewhere around 12k in available credit.

I would have thought maybe it was the INQ's but they didn't show up until last week and this score drop was immediately after the balance was paid.

I was under the impression they couldn't drop your utility % below 1% if you owed any balance on anything. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Score Drop because of Zero balances

@Anonymous wrote:

On the 1st of August I applied for two Amex cards, the BCE and the PRG, I had a pre qual letter for the PRG but I got denied for that, 75k points missed out on, but I was approved for the BCE which I didn't have a pre qual for.

My Experian score was 673 and my TU was knocking on 700s' door, but when my payment for my quicksilver went through, which I left a $10 balance on purpose in hopes it would show 1% utility, instead my credit dropped to 640 on both FICOs and they both say I have a 0% utility. So I'm guessing I need to leave quite a bit on one card to get a better score? before I had a balance of $1,600. Currently somewhere around 12k in available credit.

I would have thought maybe it was the INQ's but they didn't show up until last week and this score drop was immediately after the balance was paid.

I was under the impression they couldn't drop your utility % below 1% if you owed any balance on anything. 

If the balance  is very small sometimes it will still be calculated as 0%. That said, my opinion is not to stress too much over it. The minor scoring gains earned by tweaking your utilization are, well, minor. In most cases they will not make or break anything. Some people just enjoy doing it and that's fine but it doesn't really make a large difference either way.

If you want the maximum points leave a slightly larger balance next time and your other cards at zero.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think its got to do with AAOA as you have less credit cards and history.

Message 3 of 4
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

This is why I don't play with my Fico Score. This happened to me a couple of years ago, where I suffered a pretty severe drop in score for paying off all of my debt, to the point where I had to change insurance companies because my old one inflated my premiums a great deal because of it, even though my score recovered mere months later. And this is exactly why I no longer care about my score. It's just the fact that I felt like I was being punished for finally being responsible with money. But that is how the scoring model works. It only measures debt, so if you don't have any reporting, they penalize you for it. I don't know if they have a 1% minimum or not, but $10 puts you at less than 1% utilization from a math perspective.

As it stands now, I somehow lucked out in that a couple of my statement closing dates are a few days before I pay all of my bills anyway, so I always have 2 or 3% reporting to inflate my score, but I wouldn't care if it didn't. The insurance company I'm with now isn't so jumpy when it comes to my score (and I know this because it took another hit when I closed all of my accounts halfway through my first year with them) - they actually care about my driving record, imagine that. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.