Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score Question

A mortgage was removed from my credit, always on time, and significantly reduced my overall debt. I noticed my credit score went down? I do not understand, any thoughts? Thanks
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Score Question

Anwser is in your question.

Your score is based on many different things of wich some are how long your accounts are open and if that history is positive.

Wnen they remove account with long and positive history, your score will drop.

I hope this is correct since I'm batter in questions than anwsers. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by cinoeye on 05-11-2007 05:23 PM
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely try and get that mortgage back on there...as long as it is in good standing, mortgages definitely help your FICO.

One of the aims of credit scoring is to separate the "haves" from the "have-nots." Having a mortgage definitely makes you a "have," and the scoring system is designed to give you props for having one.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I should have clarified, it is still on my credit report as a trade line, but paid with a zero balance
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, so when you say that it was removed from your credit you didn't mean from your CR's, you meant from your overall current debt - you just paid it off and then your score dropped?  If so, I've read here that others have had a slight temporary drop in score once a tradeline was paid and closed.  However, in the big picture, as long as it remains on your CR and had a positive payment history, it should be very valuable to your score as all of your accounts age and you continue to use credit responsibly.
Message 5 of 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I assume it is paid and closed right? If so, it is normal to take a short term hit.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback, it seems that once you pay something off and reduce your debt you take a hit, which is counter intuitive to what you think should happen.
Message 7 of 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

dataanalyst wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, it seems that once you pay something off and reduce your debt you take a hit, which is counter intuitive to what you think should happen.

I know.. its weird. There are lots of little caveats to credit repair and scoring.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.