Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Scores

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Scores

@Anonymous wrote:

So is it easier to get a credit card thru the credit union vs a regular bank? Or would I have to do the secure credit card thing also.  I'm going to talk to my bank and find out what I can do there.  Those other secured credit cards ie. public savings bank etc. don't remove you from a secure to an unsecured after so long and I'd really like to find one that does.

The handy thing about credit unions is that they are set up exactly for people like you. Essentially, it's members banding together and loaning one another money.

Many locally-based banks, as opposed to the corner branch of Amalgamated MegaBanks'R'Us, will do the same, because they are attuned to their local communities. There's no telling in advance whether those in your community will give you an unsecured card first or insist that you start with secured, and also whether they will unsecure you on down the road. Lenders who might once have taken a chance are now a lot more conservative as a result of the giant fiasco that banks created for us over the last few years. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 21 of 26
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Maybe JUST to get you started (vs applying for a secured credit card), see about adding yourself as an AU on credit accounts your husband already has established.  Let them report a few months, then get your car loan and/or an unsecured credit card.  I'm sure you've contributed to the usage/payments on the credit cards in your husband's name, get the "credit" where "credit" is deserved.  Many companies report authorized users, jut look at some of his more positive accounts, maybe even list them here and we can let you know which one's report AU's.  Youd want to choose ones with lower balances and longer history.  Just a thought....

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 22 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

He told me to let him but like I said I have depended on him and his credit for far too long and NOW I can't even get a simple thing on my own.  I gotta start somewhere so I might as well do it now.  I never realized how much I was dependent upon him til recently.  His dad recently passed away and it honestly opened my eyes to a lot, and learning not to depend on others for everything was a definite one.

Message 23 of 26
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to the kjm's suggestion. If you are added as an AU to, let's say, 2 or 3 cards provided they have a good payment history, and these AUs report, then you automatically would have a FICO score, a solid mix of credit, and good credit to boot. When you apply for that car or new CC in the future, lenders wouldn't care about the AU status and you'd get approved much, much easier. As you add new accounts on your own like the car, then you can always ask your DH's creditors to remove you as an AU, if you wanted that. Your score would drop some due to the lack of history as you remove yourself, but in time it would bounce back. Basically, you are using his credit as a temporary crutch to branch out on your own with regards to credit.

Message 24 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Never thought about that.  Good advice.  Everyones replies are getting me out of my "not so happy" mood.  Thanks again everyone and I will be taking a look at the credit card postings as well.

Message 25 of 26
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

It is never a good idea to have ALL of the household expenses, loans & credit in one person's name.  YOU need to look out for you.  God forbid, but if something ever happened to him, you would have nothing in your name...nothing to fall back on as a safety net. 

You need positive credit in your name.  Credit unions are the way to go, without a doubt.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.