Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Scoring 101 - START HERE!

tag
JamesWillson
New Visitor

Re: Credit Scoring 101 - START HERE!

This is great and valuable information that you have provided to us.

Thanks for your contribution.

Message 261 of 272
Shijinlife
Established Member

Very helpful! Thank you!

Starting Score: EQ: 721 (4/21), TU: 729 (4/27), EX: 734 (3/1)
Current Score: EQ: 737 (5/29)
Goal Score: 760+

Gardening since: June 1, 2014 Goal: Gold Spade
Message 262 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome amount of detailed information! Heart Greatly appreciated

Message 263 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been very helpful for a new person coming into the game! Thanks very much!

Message 264 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the great information!

Message 265 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Good info. I'm reviewing all the basics throughout the forum

Message 266 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

"4. Keep balances low (1-9% util) on credit cards and other revolving credit. High outstanding debt can affect a score. All revolving accounts reporting a 0 balance results in a Fico score decrease."

Does this mean I should not PIF before my bill is due? I have a Amex Green (charge) and an Amazon Prime Store Card (credit) and I just paid the current balances off of both. Is this a bad strategy?

Message 267 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

"4. Keep balances low (1-9% util) on credit cards and other revolving credit. High outstanding debt can affect a score. All revolving accounts reporting a 0 balance results in a Fico score decrease."

Does this mean I should not PIF before my bill is due? I have a Amex Green (charge) and an Amazon Prime Store Card (credit) and I just paid the current balances off of both. Is this a bad strategy?

The intention of the writer was to say that if all of your cards (every single one of them) report $0 in a given month, then you will take a score hit.  It's not a big deal if that happens.  Just allow one card to report a positive balance the next month and you will gain back all the penalty points for having all-cards-at-zero.

You ask about strategy.  The best answer is that there is long term strategy and short term strategy -- and they are different. 

The best long term strategy is to gradually obtain three credit cards you really like (4-6 would be slightly better but only if you are certain they would be easy for you to manage).  Then get in the habit of using them naturally as circumstances warrant (but only for stuff you really want or need).  Let the statements print with positive balances.  These balances will report to the credit bureas.  Then pay them in full (PIF) in the next 25 days.  You will pay no interest and will be creating a history of card use and always paying in full, which is GREAT.  In the long term you don't even need to worry much about utilization, as long as you keep it somewhat under control and you always PIF.

The best short term strategy (done in the month before you need your scores to be at their best, for whatever reason) is to pay all of your cards down to $0 and keep them there -- except one.  With that remaining card, let it report a smallish balance, maybe $20 or so?  In the next 30 days, your FICO score will go up to about the highest it can be at that point.  You only have to do this in rare situations, however,  You don't have to do it every month.  Only when you need to get your scores in tip top shape for some particular reason.

I just posted a summary of these ideas in another thread, including the difference between reporting and carrying and PIF.  Here is is just in case you might find it helpful.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Minus-13-points-for-paying-off-card/m-p/4343995#M219916

Message 268 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The intention of the writer was to say that if all of your cards (every single one of them) report $0 in a given month, then you will take a score hit.  It's not a big deal if that happens.  Just allow one card to report a positive balance the next month and you will gain back all the penalty points for having all-cards-at-zero.

You ask about strategy.  The best answer is that there is long term strategy and short term strategy -- and they are different. 

The best long term strategy is to gradually obtain three credit cards you really like (4-6 would be slightly better but only if you are certain they would be easy for you to manage).  Then get in the habit of using them naturally as circumstances warrant (but only for stuff you really want or need).  Let the statements print with positive balances.  These balances will report to the credit bureas.  Then pay them in full (PIF) in the next 25 days.  You will pay no interest and will be creating a history of card use and always paying in full, which is GREAT.  In the long term you don't even need to worry much about utilization, as long as you keep it somewhat under control and you always PIF.

The best short term strategy (done in the month before you need your scores to be at their best, for whatever reason) is to pay all of your cards down to $0 and keep them there -- except one.  With that remaining card, let it report a smallish balance, maybe $20 or so?  In the next 30 days, your FICO score will go up to about the highest it can be at that point.  You only have to do this in rare situations, however,  You don't have to do it every month.  Only when you need to get your scores in tip top shape for some particular reason.

I just posted a summary of these ideas in another thread, including the difference between reporting and carrying and PIF.  Here is is just in case you might find it helpful.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Minus-13-points-for-paying-off-card/m-p/4343995#M219916

Hi CreditGuyInDixie,
You provided excellent information. Thanks for your contributions to the Community! 
I am going to visit your other thread. 

Message 269 of 272
itsnew
Contributor

Very helpful information,

Thank you

EX 575 TU 593 EQ 643 - Gardening goal is go get all to 650 across the board by June

img align="left" border="0" width="50" height="50" src="https://ficoforums.myfico.com/html/assets/challenge.png">Starting Score: 693
Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 270 of 272
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.