Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Scoring 101 - START HERE!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Scoring 101 - START HERE!

This is great!  I just watch my fico score drop 70 points because I was late. I lost my job and was trying to make ends meet.  I at least had one of my revolving cc for 2 years and was in great standing records......I am now caught up today and have less than half a bal oweing from the credit limit.  Should I write a note to the credit bureaus and have it posted on my credit report.  I did read creit 101.....but I do not recall reading anything of this.

Thank

Message 211 of 272
llecs
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Re: Credit Scoring 101

Message 212 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love this post!  The following link is no longer available:

" 1. If there is inaccurate derogatory information on your credit report, get it corrected.

USE A GW LETTER FOR ACCURATE DEROGS SUCH AS LATES AND PAID COLLECTIONS:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&message.id=2661 

You'll see this:  "The Message you are trying to access has been deleted. Please update your bookmarks."

If anyone has the current bookmarks, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Message 213 of 272
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

utah2009 wrote:

Love this post!  The following link is no longer available:

" 1. If there is inaccurate derogatory information on your credit report, get it corrected.

USE A GW LETTER FOR ACCURATE DEROGS SUCH AS LATES AND PAID COLLECTIONS:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&message.id=2661 

You'll see this:  "The Message you are trying to access has been deleted. Please update your bookmarks."

If anyone has the current bookmarks, I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Sometimes the link gets reassigned. I bet it is either Goodwill Example Letter or Goodwill Primer. In fact, as I look at the identifier in the link, it is not "Goodwill Primer" but is certainly the former. But both links are useful.
Message Edited by llecs on 04-21-2009 11:07 AM
Message 214 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: I have plenty of CCs, but no department store cards. Would adding a department store card improve my FICO score? Secondly, would any increase it generated be offset by the decline from an inquiry? (We are looking to refinance our mortgage shortly)

TIA

Message 215 of 272
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Hi, arlene, welcome to the forums!

Conventional wisdom says, yes, a purely retail card (not co-branded with Visa/ MC/ Discover/ AmEx logo) will help your score some by improving your credit mix.

Conventional wisdom also says not to apply for any new credit six months or more before a mortgage app.

I'd hold off for now. It might help your score several points, but not significantly; it might not counter-balance any inq or new account ding; and you don't want to rattle a mortgage lender. They're peculiar enough now as it is.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 216 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

If a derogatory comes off in seven years from the date it goes bad, is that the date it went bad from the original lender or from a subsequent collection agency? I have some baddies on my report which should be off if it is dependent on the original lender date gone bad.,
Message 217 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

what is a duplicate on a credit report?
Message 218 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If a derogatory comes off in seven years from the date it goes bad, is that the date it went bad from the original lender or from a subsequent collection agency? I have some baddies on my report which should be off if it is dependent on the original lender date gone bad.,

Derog information should be removed 7 - 7 1/2 yrs. from DOFD. Collection agencies cannot reset this date unless you at some time started payment to them.
Message 219 of 272
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is great!  I just watch my fico score drop 70 points because I was late. I lost my job and was trying to make ends meet.  I at least had one of my revolving cc for 2 years and was in great standing records......I am now caught up today and have less than half a bal oweing from the credit limit.  Should I write a note to the credit bureaus and have it posted on my credit report.  I did read creit 101.....but I do not recall reading anything of this.

Thank

Was this a 30 day late?  It might be possible to have the creditor remove this from your reports by sending a GW letter explaining your recent unemployment and how you are striving to repay and keep current your accounts.

Do a search on this forum for GW letters...and if it doesn't work the first time, try again...then try again in 6 months.

Don't give up.

ETA...I just noticed I replied to a post over 5 months old...hope this worked out for him.

Message Edited by VEEnVEGAS on 06-21-2009 01:31 PM
Message 220 of 272
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.