Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Utilization Calculation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Utilization Calculation

I do not carry a month-to-month balance, but I use up to 15% of my credit on a monthly basis. Will I improve my FICO score by paying off my credit card right before applying for a mortgage? That is, is credit utilization calculated based on a snapshot of your credit accounts on the date of the credit check or as an average usage over time?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Utilization Calculation

Snapshot.  Usually the amount listed on the statement is what gets sent to the CRA's.  I bet if you get below 9%, from what I have read, that you will get pointage.  I'm shooting for that myself!  Good Luck.  (Don't report zero though, at least 1 percent).

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Utilization Calculation

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not carry a month-to-month balance, but I use up to 15% of my credit on a monthly basis. Will I improve my FICO score by paying off my credit card right before applying for a mortgage? That is, is credit utilization calculated based on a snapshot of your credit accounts on the date of the credit check or as an average usage over time?

Yes, pay off all but one card before they report (statement date in almost all cases; major exceptions being HSBC/ Orchard bank cards and USBank cards, including store cards.)

Let the one card report twenty bucks or so, and then pay it off before the due date.

This will optimize your reported util.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.