Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Utilization In following Scenario

tag
Outdoorstech1
Frequent Contributor

Credit Utilization In following Scenario

This is my first post on here. I am rebuilding my credit. And awesome info on this site so far, I have learned so much in the last few weeks reading.

Say my limit is $500 and I purchase something for $350 (70% of my limit). However, I pay the $350 within a few days my making a payment BEFORE my monthly statement comes and at the end of the month, my net balance comes out to be $50 (10% of my limit) as a result of making several payments within the month.

In this case, is the Utilization ratio a low 10% or something else?

I have tried to find answer to this strategy of keeping the ratio down, but have not found any valuable ones yet.

Or do I never max out my credit card, and only charge up to 30% of the card, because that will be shown on my credit report as the (High Balance)? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Utilization In following Scenario

Welcome to the forums!

Typically a CC balance is reported once a month to the credit bureaus, and the utilization calculation for scoring purposes is based on that.

A typical scenario is that your balance on the statement date is reported shortly thereafter.

A variation is reporting the current balance at the end of the month.

Message 2 of 4
bch238
Regular Contributor

OP, If the monthly statement closes out with your hypothetical $50, so that $50 is shown as your balance on your next bill, then more likely than not that will be the amount reported to the credit bureaus.
FICO Scores (MARCH 2016): EQ 829; EX 825; TU 828
AmEx BCP $25,000; AmEx Platinum (NPSL); Barclaycard JetBlue Rewards $5,000; Bank of America Cash Rewards $27,500; Chase Sapphire Preferred $33,700; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $15,000; Chase Freedom $12,000; Citi Prestige $30,500; Virgin America Premium $25,000; The Home Depot Card $20,500; Capital One Platinum $15,000
Message 3 of 4
Outdoorstech1
Frequent Contributor

Cool, thanks.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.