Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card score much lower than fico score

tag
MRsolis
Regular Contributor

Credit card score much lower than fico score

Hey guys I am working on rebuilding my credit. I wont go into much detail but back in 2010 I got into a car accident and lost my job which resulted in late payments, chargeoffs, collections, and one judgement. I have been working to clean it up without filing bankruptcy and have actually gone from a 440 scroe to 600 Fico and recently when I applied for a card with synchrony bank Amazon I received a score of 611 but was denied. Just for the heck of it I tried again with Lowes which also uses Synchrony Bank and I received a score of 411 and was denied. This scared me and I immediately updated my scores and reports and nothing changed....No collections were added nothing bad and my score shows up as 608. This confused me especially since it was the same bank giving me a different score within the same mont. Both were from Transunion. Also the only late payments/chargeoffs on my report are from 2010 I currently have 4 credit cards with no balances that I have never been late on and 3 loans that I have never been late on. Could an inquiry really lower your creditworthiness that much? Thank you in advance

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card score much lower than fico score

No certain banks have inside scoring that they use other than fico scores.  I have had that happen to me where my scores is much lower than my real credit scores.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Inquiries only make you lose up to five 5 points
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just found out the hard way with navy federal credit union that they use the fico 04 model instead of the fico 08. Got a hard denial due to the low score they saw. Hate I had to take a hit on that inquiry but oh well.

Message 4 of 8
MRsolis
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info guys !There is soooo much to learn about credit. All these different score versions and methods. sheesh can we just stick to something simple o.O lol. I am going to stick with what I have and continue cleaning up and wait another year or so to apply for more cards. Thank you again. It just kinda scared me.

Message 5 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Inquiries only make you lose up to five 5 points

We need to be careful about making generalizations.

This might be your experience but not everyone will see the same result from inquiries.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine dropped 12 points following a spree of 6 inquires. Highly doubt the large decrease is a result of one or two inquires.

Message 7 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine dropped 12 points following a spree of 6 inquires. Highly doubt the large decrease is a result of one or two inquires.

Diminishing returns in inquiry damage, graded on a step function as near as I can tell.

I wish I had clean reports inquiry wise on EQ / TU but I fully intend to pull an EX report (where I am at 0 scorable inquiries currently) after I make my first mortgage application just to see the effects on my individual report in going from 0 to 1 inquiry.  Unfortunately I had a balance snafu so may get a bad datapoint in there but c'est la guerre.

        
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.