Frequent Contributor
unc0mm0n1

Credit card usage question

[ Edited ]

I checked my Fico Score and it gave me the following message:

You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.

Ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits
3%

For FICO High Achievers, this ratio is 7%, on average.

Your FICO score evaluates your revolving credit balances in relation to your credit limits on those accounts. In your case, this ratio of balances to credit limits is too high.

Keep this in mind: This credit usage ratio is one of the most important factors to your FICO score, so you should work on paying down your balances. Your FICO score looks at your total ratio of revolving debt, and also your ratio of revolving debt on your individual credit accounts. Therefore, consolidating or moving your debt from one account to another will usually not help your FICO score since the same total amount is owed.

I have over 40K in revolving credit. and I use less than 2K. I don't understand how that calculates to heavy usage. Especially since it most high fico earners use 7%. Should I be spending less on CCs? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Last App December 7, 2013. Gardening until May 20, 2014
Current Score: 720 EX 714 EQ 712 TU 12/10/2013Goal Score: 720 across the board
Mega Contributor
LS2982

Re: Credit card usage question

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I checked my Fico Score and it gave me the following message:

You've made heavy use of your available revolving credit.

Ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits
3%

For FICO High Achievers, this ratio is 7%, on average.

Your FICO score evaluates your revolving credit balances in relation to your credit limits on those accounts. In your case, this ratio of balances to credit limits is too high.

Keep this in mind: This credit usage ratio is one of the most important factors to your FICO score, so you should work on paying down your balances. Your FICO score looks at your total ratio of revolving debt, and also your ratio of revolving debt on your individual credit accounts. Therefore, consolidating or moving your debt from one account to another will usually not help your FICO score since the same total amount is owed.

I have over 40K in revolving credit. and I use less than 2K. I don't understand how that calculates to heavy usage. Especially since it most high fico earners use 7%. Should I be spending less on CCs? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Is this from a score power repory here???

Thats a little off. :smileyindifferent:

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Credit card usage question

That negative FICO scoring code encompasses several items outside of your overall util. I believe it includes individual util. For example you could still get dinged with low util on all CCs but high on one. I think it also includes whether or not an individual TL is reporting as maxed which tends to ding extra. OP, are your scores high? I see FAKOs( I assume) and your util could be high in relation to others within your scoring bucket. Your comment is an indicator of that.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}