Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards/hard inquiries/credit scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards/hard inquiries/credit scores

Sorry if this has been asked. 

When applying for new credit cards, a hard inquiry is placed on your credit report. Along with that, will your score always go down because of those inquiries? Or can it go up? Or does it matter either way on how many recent inquiries etc? 

Im curious as to how ones score is affected up or down with recent inquiries. I am gardening until January 2017. 

Thanks for the help. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit cards/hard inquiries/credit scores

It varies, but usually it will be a small drop that will fade away pretty quickly, especially if you have a thick file.
It's possible that you see an increase, but that will typically be due to other factors cancelling it out, such as account aging and such.
Message 2 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

It depends on your profile and the Credit bureau. I've seen my scores go up and down with inqs. Sometimes they don't move at all. The new accounts seem to make more of a difference than the inqs.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had applied for a couple things, but my score hadn't gone down. I know they've been reported, they show up on my report, and then my score went up 8 points. So I wasn't sure if I should expect it at some point to go down, or if it won't go down at all. Fine by me if it doesn't go down obviously, was just curious. 

I am guessing if someone applied though for a ton of things in a small span, that would probably effect their score. 

Message 4 of 9
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry if this has been asked. 

When applying for new credit cards, a hard inquiry is placed on your credit report. Along with that, will your score always go down because of those inquiries? Or can it go up? Or does it matter either way on how many recent inquiries etc? 

Im curious as to how ones score is affected up or down with recent inquiries. I am gardening until January 2017. 

Thanks for the help. 

Hello Husqvarna:

Credit scoring models (be they Fico, VantageScore or other 3rd party) all treat hard inquiries as a potential negative in scoring. Adding a HP can be score neutral or it may cause your score to go down. Addition of an inquiry never, as its own factor, causes score to increase.

As others have mentioned, a new inquiry is a trigger for credit monitoring to pull your data and generate a new score. It is possible for your new score to be higher - but not because of the HP. A higher score could be the result of a drop in utilization or fewer cards reporting a non zero balance.

Shown below is a categorization of inquiries from Credit Karma (CK). Both Fico and VS bin inquiries - but likely there are differences. If you stay in the same QTY bin, no score change associated with the new INQ. Also, the amount of score change if you switch bins can differ by scorecard. Effect likely greater with thin files.

Note 1: Hard inquiries factor into Fico scoring models for one year but, are considered in VS score for two years.

Note 2: Some types of hard inquiries are grouped together and only count as one in scoring (inquiries associated with mortgage shopping within a set amount of time).

Inquiries.gif

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh wow, great information. Thank you. 

So can I expect at some point for my score to go down, or could it very well not go down, because my util changed, balances changed, new account added etc?

Message 6 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Impact of an HP depends on one's credit profile.  Those with thin and/or poor credit profiles will see a bigger impact than those with established profiles in good standing.  The HP itself isn't a postive but scoring impact isn't just about HP's.

@Anonymous wrote:

So can I expect at some point for my score to go down, or could it very well not go down, because my util changed, balances changed, new account added etc?

It all depends on your credit profile and how various changes add up.  I've had scores increase from new accounts but that was from a specific set of circumstances.  Many typically see a drop from the hit for the hard pull, the hit to AAoA, etc.  It can be tricky in the real world to isolate the specific impact of one change such as an HP.  Most people usually have a number of different changes going on such as balances reporting, aging, etc.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent thank you. I'll hope mine does not go down, and happy that it went up an additional 8-10 points. Hopefully nothing else happens over the next few weeks. I'll keep an eye on it. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

And it wasn't like these new accounts weren't reported. They are definitely on my report as of this morning when I looked. So I'm happy either way. Now gardening until 2017. This forum has been great so far. So much useful info. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.