New Visitor
Troy

Credit cards vs HELOC

I have two credit cards that are near their credit limits, which I know hurts my FICO score. If I pay off my credit cards with a home equity loan, does that help, hurt, or not affect my score?
americanjustin

It'll most likely help. Opening a new installment loan ma...

It'll most likely help. Opening a new installment loan may lower your scores a bit, but paying down credit cards---especially if lowering them from above 50% to below 50% their credit line (exception: Capital One cards which you'll need to lower below 50% the highest you ever charged on it in any given month)---will raise your scores and likely raise them more than they'd lower by having a new installment loan on file.

Plus, over the long haul, the installment loan will help your FICO.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}