cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit line increase results in FICO score drop??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit line increase results in FICO score drop??

Hello everyone, 

So, Ive been following these forums for some time now, and Id first off like to thank each and every one of you for the help and advice. So the issue Im having is with a Capital One Quicksilver card. In the last couple days just had a credit limit increase from 1850 to 2500. My alerts/updates for all three bureaus read : "The balance on one of your accounts has decreased 40%" (reflecting a payment I had made last week) and "An account listed on your credit has been updated" (reflecting the CLI). As far as Ive read time and time again, lower balances and lender increases not initiated by the customer are good for credit health. TU down 7 pts, EX down 11 pts, EQ up 3 points??? Its really strange to me and I would like to know if anyone has experienced anything similar to this, or have any insight. Thank you in advance!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit line increase results in FICO score drop??

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone, 

So, Ive been following these forums for some time now, and Id first off like to thank each and every one of you for the help and advice. So the issue Im having is with a Capital One Quicksilver card. In the last couple days just had a credit limit increase from 1850 to 2500. My alerts/updates for all three bureaus read : "The balance on one of your accounts has decreased 40%" (reflecting a payment I had made last week) and "An account listed on your credit has been updated" (reflecting the CLI). As far as Ive read time and time again, lower balances and lender increases not initiated by the customer are good for credit health. TU down 7 pts, EX down 11 pts, EQ up 3 points??? Its really strange to me and I would like to know if anyone has experienced anything similar to this, or have any insight. Thank you in advance!

It's because the way myfico reporting works. Changes in your report don't always trigger an alert, and when it does, scores are calculated (or something like that, you can find out more myFICO® Forums Technical Help). But basically, the score change does not always associate with the alert. In the short term (monthly or so), your credit scores will always fluctuate a little bit. In the long term, higher CL and lower ultilization ratio is good for credit score.

Message 2 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^Right. So to summarize, your score drops shouldn't (and probably aren't) related to your payments and CLIs. Alerts aren't always triggered by everything.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone, 

Neither the balance decrease nor the credit limit increase would be a negative;  the score drop was caused by something else.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've sometimes noticed an initial score drop, but an increase later in the month- not sure why

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They might have done a hard pull that  might be why the scores dropped.  Don't try to expect a too detailed rational answer of how the scoring works.  Just do the right things that make it go up and be patient.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would +1 the HP's on the score decreases, but then that would counteract the +3 on his Equ. SMH  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.