Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Reply
New Member
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎08-07-2007
0 Kudos

Credit line vs. debt

Hi,
Just wondering...
 
Say I have a credit limit of $8,000 on a credit card, and I have a current balance of $7,000.  My debt ratio would be 87.5%, right?  But, if I have other credit cards that aren't in use, and all together my credit lines equal say $50,000 my debt ratio wouldn't be so bad.  This won't hurt my credit score, right?  They look at your entire credit line, not just one particular card, right?
Thanks!
Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 16,382
Registered: ‎03-12-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Credit line vs. debt



Skaluva99 wrote:
Hi,
Just wondering...
 
Say I have a credit limit of $8,000 on a credit card, and I have a current balance of $7,000.  My debt ratio would be 87.5%, right?  But, if I have other credit cards that aren't in use, and all together my credit lines equal say $50,000 my debt ratio wouldn't be so bad.  This won't hurt my credit score, right?  They look at your entire credit line, not just one particular card, right?
Thanks!
Steve


Hi read these threads!
 
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2,050
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Credit line vs. debt



Skaluva99 wrote:
Hi,
Just wondering...
 
Say I have a credit limit of $8,000 on a credit card, and I have a current balance of $7,000.  My debt ratio would be 87.5%, right?  But, if I have other credit cards that aren't in use, and all together my credit lines equal say $50,000 my debt ratio wouldn't be so bad.  This won't hurt my credit score, right?  They look at your entire credit line, not just one particular card, right?
Thanks!
Steve


Correct on 87.5% for that card.  Your FICO score considers your utilization on each individual card AND the combined total.  So your score would take a hit for having such a high utilization on that card but would be OK if you had only $7,000 used on $50k credit line (which equates to 14% util overall).  See the threads that fused111 posted.
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.
New Member
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎08-07-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Credit line vs. debt

OK so you will take a hit for that.  But what about down the road after this $7000 is almost paid off, say next year when I apply for a mortgage - my score will have dropped by then right?  Or will my score still be lower than it could be because I had such a high balance on one credit card during a period of time.
Thanks!
Regular Contributor
Posts: 218
Registered: ‎07-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Credit line vs. debt



Skaluva99 wrote:
OK so you will take a hit for that.  But what about down the road after this $7000 is almost paid off, say next year when I apply for a mortgage - my score will have dropped by then right?  Or will my score still be lower than it could be because I had such a high balance on one credit card during a period of time.
Thanks!



From what I understand, HISTORY of utilization matters not one iota - it's the ratios of balances to limits AT THE TIME OF CREDIT PULL.  Unlike payment history, where a late payment 6 months ago, or 3 years ago, still affects you, the utilization portion of FICO scoring only takes into account your current utilization % at the time of credit pull.
 
From BK to 700 FICOs in 4.5 yrs.
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 2,050
Registered: ‎04-17-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Credit line vs. debt



Joe77 wrote:


Skaluva99 wrote:
OK so you will take a hit for that.  But what about down the road after this $7000 is almost paid off, say next year when I apply for a mortgage - my score will have dropped by then right?  Or will my score still be lower than it could be because I had such a high balance on one credit card during a period of time.
Thanks!



From what I understand, HISTORY of utilization matters not one iota - it's the ratios of balances to limits AT THE TIME OF CREDIT PULL.  Unlike payment history, where a late payment 6 months ago, or 3 years ago, still affects you, the utilization portion of FICO scoring only takes into account your current utilization % at the time of credit pull.
 


Couldn't have said it better myself.  Smiley Happy
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.