Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit rebuild advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit rebuild advice

Hi all. I've been finally gettin on track with some credit rebuilding.
I have 4 of those low limit credit cards with huh rates.
2 first premier, and 2 cap one.
I am also authorized user on three of my wife's high limit credit cards, which I use just for gas, and groceries (which we pay at end of month).

The 2 First Premier cards are charging me a $7 a month (bogus) maintenance fee. So even at 0 I have to lay them something.
Should I close those?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit rebuild advice

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi all. I've been finally gettin on track with some credit rebuilding.
I have 4 of those low limit credit cards with huh rates.
2 first premier, and 2 cap one.
I am also authorized user on three of my wife's high limit credit cards, which I use just for gas, and groceries (which we pay at end of month).

The 2 First Premier cards are charging me a $7 a month (bogus) maintenance fee. So even at 0 I have to lay them something.
Should I close those?

I apologize for saying this, but yes dump the cards that charge you a monthly maintenance fee.  If you're an AU on three of your wife's cards, then you have over three TL reporting.

Now you need to let your Cap1 Cards mature and eliminate/fix any negatives on your report.  In addition, make sure that you have only 1 TL reporting a balance.  This includes the cards that you are AU on.  If one or more of the cards that you are AU on always report a balance, then make sure that your two cards report $0 balance.

FYI, have you pulled your free credit report w/in the past 12 months?  If not, go to annualcreditreport.com and pull one of your reports.  I'm frugal so I pull a report from only 1 CBA at a time.  Work on your report and in three months pull a second report at annualcreditreport.com, but from a different CBA. My worst score is always TU so I pull them first. Experian is always my best score, so I pull them last.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I figured I should close them... Just wanted a little nudge!
Turns out they charge $7 a month, plus $75 a year maintenance fees.
Plus a low limit. I feel it was hurting me more than helping, since I also have the Cap1 cards.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also - go to the Rebuilding forum - they will have TONS of information for you.

Also - sign up for Credit Karma (CK) - it's free - and although the scores are FAKO - you can get your TU and EQ reports for free - you can see what's out there......That will help you get a handle on things......it updates weekly.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! Yes I've been on credit karma for a bit now. I sent out some gw letters last week as well.
Pretty excited on this journey to credit worthiness!
Message 5 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes, I figured I should close them... Just wanted a little nudge!
Turns out they charge $7 a month, plus $75 a year maintenance fees.
Plus a low limit. I feel it was hurting me more than helping, since I also have the Cap1 cards.

Well, to put it in perspective, the First Premier cards are reporting positive payments history to your credit file, so it's not like you got nothing out of the deal. That payment history will continue to show a positive for several years yet.

After a certain time, like yesterday, yes it's a good idea to close the First Premier, but sometimes you have to pay for credit.

Good luck on your journey!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 2 first card already charged u 95 bucks for each card as processing fee.. But I'll close those instead of keeping them since u already have 2 cap one.. Now only way to rebuild credit is time.. If u wanna do it faster and need a car go buy an inexpensive car.. With an installment loan (car loan) u build ur credit up a lot faster with on time payment
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.