Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit repair costing me $$

tag
gtnitright
Regular Contributor

Credit repair costing me $$

Is anyone paying a credit repair agency to assist with your improved Credit or are you doing this on your own? I've been paying them for about 2 yrs but it sounds like you guys are taking care of your credit on your own.
Starting Score : EQ 635. TU 632 EX 635
Goal Score: 700. br >
.Nordstrom $800 Loft/$800 Cap 1/$3900 Amex BCE $9000br >
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Credit repair costing me $$

Honestly Prissy, I would never go to a credit repair agency. As long as you can sound professional, and know your rights concerning collections... e.g., what can and cannot be accomplished, the legalities concerning how you word your letters, et cetera, I would steer clear of them.

That is just my opinion, based off of my experience. (Not personally, but I know that my Father has dished out a ton of money to his CRA, to no avail.)

Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

A credit repair company can do no more for you than you can yourself.  Actually, they probably can do less than you because legally they are limited to what they can do.

I would save your money and use it to pay off debt. 

The most it would cost is the cost of a CMRRR and stamps.

Message 3 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

A credit repair company can do no more for you than you can yourself.  Actually, they probably can do less than you because legally they are limited to what they can do.

I would save your money and use it to pay off debt. 

The most it would cost is the cost of a CMRRR and stamps.

I agree with this 100%.  Save your money and do it yourself.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 7
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Once you have made the mistakes, there are no fast or rapid ways to improve. Save your money, pay the past due bills and collections, then focus on paying additional payments to reduce your outstanding current obligations and mortage (if you have them). The faster you pay all of your bills down, the more rapid your scores will improve.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 7
gtnitright
Regular Contributor

Are there any sample letters that I could review to start my own process of improving my credit ....  ie: baddies, collections, deleting co's.

Starting Score : EQ 635. TU 632 EX 635
Goal Score: 700. br >
.Nordstrom $800 Loft/$800 Cap 1/$3900 Amex BCE $9000br >
Message 6 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

@MsPrissy47 wrote:

Are there any sample letters that I could review to start my own process of improving my credit ....  ie: baddies, collections, deleting co's.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/What-Steps-Do-I-Take-Do-I-DV-PFD/td-p/337142

You can also find a lot of examples, tutorials, instructions and other related help in the rebuilding section.

If that isn't enough, just google "xxxx letter template" and usually you can find a few useful ones on how your letter should be written.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.