cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit report showing credit card with zero max but positive outstanding balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit report showing credit card with zero max but positive outstanding balance

I got a new credit card in July and my credit report from November shows it has a credit limit of $0 on all three reporting companies.  Since I have a small balance at any given time but pay it off every month, is that actually hurting my utilization since the small balance is in the numerator and probably not in the denominator? 

Also, I am being dinged by one agency for not having any credit usage but it then shows that I have a balance on one credit card, which would be accurate.  How stupid to tell me to use credit while I already am.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit report showing credit card with zero max but positive outstanding balance

What kind of card is it?  I believe some cards don't report CL, only balances...
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit report showing credit card with zero max but positive outstanding balance

hi GregOK, and welcome to the forum. Here you will find a wealth of information regarding all credit related issues and knowledgeable people to help you answer your questions.

Read Credit Scoring 101 to help you understand better the components of FICO scoring, and how things effect your scores:

Yes, it could be hurting your credit score by not showing your cl(credit limit), as credit limits effect utilization, which is basically 30% of your credit score. Please look at the "Credit Education" section in the black menu bar at top of the page.

I would suggest that you contact your ccc and ask them why they are not reporting your cl.

Just out of curiosity, who is the credit card company?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

GregOK, I had exactly the same issue with a CC from Chase that has a $20K CL (per my statement).  I called Chase to ask about it and was informed that it did not show a CL due to the fact that my account did not a TRUE CL cap.  I explained  to the rep the problems that could cause and she said she would make sure that my CL of 20K would be send to all 3 CRAs.

Message 4 of 6
Dawn
Established Contributor

jtdjtd wrote:
GregOK, I had exactly the same issue with a CC from Chase that has a $20K CL (per my statement).  I called Chase to ask about it and was informed that it did not show a CL due to the fact that my account did not a TRUE CL cap.  I explained  to the rep the problems that could cause and she said she would make sure that my CL of 20K would be send to all 3 CRAs.

Have you checked yet to see if the CRAs are posting the CLs now? 

I just sent an email to Chase regarding my DH's World MC not reporting a limit (but the balance is being used in determining revolving credit utilization)  and they have forwarded my concerns to the "appropriate department" for review.  I'm curious to know if customer requests for them to report something that they don't routinely report for a particular type product has an impact.  Once I get his fixed, I will have to see how mine reports next month.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not yet checked to see what is being reported.  I just did this on Monday.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.