Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score dropped by 60 points after getting loan

tag
C-Chedda
Established Member

Credit score dropped by 60 points after getting loan

My score dropped by about 60 points after I took out a loan for stocks about 4 months ago. I haven't recieved anything negative on my report. I recieved a new credit card in January 2010. I recieved the loan in may (7000.00) and paid it completely off in July. How long do I have to wait until my score goes back up?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Credit score dropped by 60 points after getting loan

Welcome to the forum.  If you have a short credit history and your util was high on the loan, that could be responsible for the drop.  has the PIF been reported on your CR yet?  Also how many other CCs are reporting a balance.  Remember that even if you PIF, the reported balance is what effects your credit score.  FICO doesn't care if you PIF each month.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 6
C-Chedda
Established Member

The loan is showing Paid in Full. I only have one credit card ( with a balance of 8.00) the card has a 200 dollar limit. A few months ago I did go over my limit on my cc. But I paid it in full. I have never been late on my cc
Message 3 of 6
cascade159
New Contributor

Does the loan show a $0 balance on your credit report?

EQ: 680, TU 665, EX 615 (FAKO)
Message 4 of 6
C-Chedda
Established Member

Yes it's showing a zero balance
Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe something else happened in addition to the loan, but new credit is a score-killer. On average I have lost 20-25 points with each new TL reporting. Last summer, I lost over 50 when I added a new Penfed, Amex, and Discover. The new credit hurt and I was rebucketed due to the new credit. Most of those points came back over time, approx. 6 months and I noticed large increases around the 10 month mark (I think I was rebucketed back). In general, most, if not all, of the points return by 12 months.

OP, is your score from myFICO and which one?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.