Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score dropped some?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit score dropped some?

Good morning all,

I don't mean to sound like a snob, but my TU score dropped some from 800 to 786 and the reason they gave was, "There are no recent balances on your revolving credit accounts."  Ok, so I don't use my credit cards as much and my score drops, what gives.  My ES score is 810, I have not checked my EX in the past few months, but it's in the 790+.  When I graduated from college in 2000, my wife and I had several cc's and we paid them all off.  My scores were in the upper 500s and lower 600s, so I come a long way.  Now I have 2 cc's and she is on one, the main card with a limit of 45K and the balance is 8K, at 4% until June.  We plan to have it paid off by June, July.  Anyway, how do I get TU back up to 800+, do I have to buy something and then pay it off soon after so I show I can use cc's? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit score dropped some?

Hi Warrior3!

A few years ago, I received a similar comment from TU. 

There is a threshold where certain high credit limit cards stop reporting as "revolving credit."  We're a little uncertain of the exact cut off point.  A few years ago, I was informed that any card with a $29,000+ credit limit would be exempt from revolving calculations by EX and TU.  One of our moderators has found that credit limits above $20K-$25K are not considered revolving by EX.  It is speculated that EQ has a much higher threshold.

What this means for you is that you must show a monthly balance on a lower credit line card.  I'm hoping your remaining card has a much lower credit limit than your main card.  I have 3 major credit cards with $30,000+ credit limits.  In order to show recent revolving credit activity, I show a $7 balance monthly on a credit card that has a $15,400 credit limit.  So, every month show a small balance on your statement date, then pay that balance off in full. 

Message Edited by psychic on 01-28-2009 08:02 AM
Message 2 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

While I'm a long ways away from having the problem of cards not being counted due to high CL, I did find out what happened if all reported $0 --score drops across the board (see my siggy.)

psychic's right --let one lower-limit card report an insignificant balance, and that should help. If you haven't used it within six months or so, you might get a further one-time ding for a non-used card being used again, but that will go away after a month.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning Psychic,

Thanks for the info.  My other card has a 25K limit and it has a $0 balance.  I may need to change the NetFlix monthly charge to that card and take it off of the visa.  I see your scores are well over 800, someday I'll have all of them over 800, I'm not to far away.  Thanks again.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're very welcome, Warrior3!

I've been showing a very small monthly balance on a low credit limit card for a few years.  It seems like kind of a pain, but you'll get used to this routine. 

Good luck with it.  Let us know what happens!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.