Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditor/Collector and Reporting Bad Debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditor/Collector and Reporting Bad Debt

I had a bill from a creditor (Terminix), that didn't get paid. I overlooked it as I made a payment the day before the bill came, and mistakenly thought it was paid as they charge quarterly, but it was actually credited toward the last quarters bill. I'm not entirely convinced I was a quarter behind, but have not way to prove it one way or the other.

Anyhow, I was out on vacation for most of July and missed the "Final Notice" letter. On 8/1 they sent the bill to a Collection Agency. So far it's not on my credit report, so here's my questions:

1) Can/Will Terminix report this as a derogatory to the Credit Bureuas and if so how long until it shows up after they report?

2) If they haven't reported me yet, how long do they have to do it (is there any time limit or trigger like when the collector reports they recieved payment then they report it, or do they report all there bad debts quarterly/annually)?

I want to keep this off my report. The Collector said I can pay and they won't report me, but they can't say what Terminix will do.

3) How do I keep Terminix from reporting me if they haven't already? I called and they said I have to deal with the collector and one person said they don't report and another said they do.

TIA,

Jason

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Creditor/Collector and Reporting Bad Debt

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a bill from a creditor (Terminix), that didn't get paid. I overlooked it as I made a payment the day before the bill came, and mistakenly thought it was paid as they charge quarterly, but it was actually credited toward the last quarters bill. I'm not entirely convinced I was a quarter behind, but have not way to prove it one way or the other.

Anyhow, I was out on vacation for most of July and missed the "Final Notice" letter. On 8/1 they sent the bill to a Collection Agency. So far it's not on my credit report, so here's my questions:

1) Can/Will Terminix report this as a derogatory to the Credit Bureuas and if so how long until it shows up after they report?

2) If they haven't reported me yet, how long do they have to do it (is there any time limit or trigger like when the collector reports they recieved payment then they report it, or do they report all there bad debts quarterly/annually)?

I want to keep this off my report. The Collector said I can pay and they won't report me, but they can't say what Terminix will do.

3) How do I keep Terminix from reporting me if they haven't already? I called and they said I have to deal with the collector and one person said they don't report and another said they do.

TIA,

Jason

contact Terminix and see what would they do if you pay if they they wont report ... get that in writting before paying!

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I 've contacted Terminix customer service a couple times. The first person I spoke to said that their Billing Dept would have to call me back as they make decisions on reporting to the Credit Bureas and can see if they can get the debt back from the Collector.

Billing never called back, so I called customer service again, and this rep told me I have to deal directly with the collector and that Terminix won't report me.

Which customer service rep is right? I'm happy to deal with the collecter as long as I know Terminix will not report me. That's why I'm trying to figure out if Terminix already has, or will at some later date, cause I know once I pay I lose my only bargaining chip.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try speaking to a supervisor! 

@Anonymous wrote:

I 've contacted Terminix customer service a couple times. The first person I spoke to said that their Billing Dept would have to call me back as they make decisions on reporting to the Credit Bureas and can see if they can get the debt back from the Collector.

Billing never called back, so I called customer service again, and this rep told me I have to deal directly with the collector and that Terminix won't report me.

Which customer service rep is right? I'm happy to deal with the collecter as long as I know Terminix will not report me. That's why I'm trying to figure out if Terminix already has, or will at some later date, cause I know once I pay I lose my only bargaining chip.

Message 4 of 8
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Try speaking to a supervisor! 

+1 CSR no matter how many you call you will usually get different responses mainly because no one knows the exact answer. A Supervisor though hopefully will be able to assist you. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been trying to get to someone at Terminix who can help (either supervisor or billing dept). One time was told they would call back, the next basically told to call collector as no one else could help me. I will try back again, but I'm still hoping to get my original questions anwered so I have an understanding of the process.

Will/can a business like Terminix report to the credit bureaus (The bill in question is only $120)?

Do they have a time limit to report this?

Do companys report immediately after selling the debt off, or do they report periodically (say quarterly/annually)?

Once reported does it show up immediately?

Thanks again

Message 6 of 8
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

I dont think they have a time limit and yes any amount in question can be reported, basically they sell your account to a collection agency and that collection agency goes on your report. Thats why its best to pay the amount before it happens. So it might still be possible to try and pay it with them before they sell the account. I would try calling to see if you can pay the $120. You could try filing a BBB complaint that they arent getting back to you.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just Pay It  What I have found is that, no matter who, what, where etc.....Just pay the bill and pay it as fast as you can.  As ammounts are transferred from one institution to another you WILL be "charged" with setting up another account, weather you did it or they did.  Pay the bill Jay.  You will NOT be able to get the first institution off your record.  The fact that they "transferred" the account for collections s not good.  

Hate to deliver this news buddy, but the fact that you have no record of paying the  bill.......well.....unless you paid it in cash there should be SOME record.  

Pay the bill!  it will only get worse.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.