Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*update* Crossing the boundary - new data points

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: Crossing the boundary - new data points

Thanks for sharing OP. Congrats on your high FICO scores! thats an accomplishment! 

Message 11 of 23
Kidcat
Established Contributor

Congratulations OP.  It's exciting.  I have the same goal for no reason but just because!Smiley Wink

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 12 of 23
NRB525
Super Contributor

@bada_bing wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Congratulations!

What is the last reported balance on each of your CC? Overall utilization on revolving?

Any other term loans like a car loan?

All my cards reported zero except about $1000 on my BCP. That is 2% on the BCP and rounds up to 1% on all cards totalled.

I have 1 active mortgage that was opened 3 years ago in Jan. It is a refi and started at $118K and now is $93K. The loan to value

is under 30% but the current balance to original balance on this refi is 79%. Something to think about when you refi a mortgage.

I have 3 closed mortgages on my reports in good standing.

I have no installment loan history on my reports at all, it's been 20 years since I had an open car loan.

Yes, this makes sense. In order to get to 850, I think one has to be zero risk of default, meaning almost nothing being borrowed.

Congrats! Thanks for the data.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 23
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@bada_bing wrote:

I had negative scoring factors on just TU last month when the score was 839.

The factors were

1.  Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high  

2. Too few accounts paid as agreed.

I checked my SM for my TU history and it shows that I had 839 two months ago

and 844 just a couple days before my mortgage posted below 80% for the first time.

It matches what CCT has recorded when the dates line up, but I only get an update

from Barclays every two months.

1 was a ding as you saw, 2 is just one of those unarguable truths that get told to people with high scores.  Can't be false, can't be sued.

Anyway I do greatly appreciate your neatly providing confirmation of 80% being the high installment utilization boundary; now just looking for the one somewhere between 50 and 20%  

Many thanks!

Yes, this is pretty good evidence that 80% may be a threshold for a mortgage only installment loan. However, CAPTOOL's previous data on a score change below 70% aggregate balance to loan ratio was compelling as well. Credit profile may come into play as it does with # cards reporting and credit card UT%.

Ultimately there may be more than 2 threshold ratios but clearly the lower ones may be invisible to many profiles if they are already at 850. Perhaps before/after scores from other Fico scoring models - that don't have buffers can help establish lower threshold levels [mortgage scores, or enhanced Auto/Bankcard scores]. Unfortunately, most people don't track all their Fico scores so this can be difficult.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 14 of 23
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@bada_bing wrote:

I had negative scoring factors on just TU last month when the score was 839.

The factors were

1.  Proportion of loan balances to loan amounts is too high  

2. Too few accounts paid as agreed.

I checked my SM for my TU history and it shows that I had 839 two months ago

and 844 just a couple days before my mortgage posted below 80% for the first time.

It matches what CCT has recorded when the dates line up, but I only get an update

from Barclays every two months.

1 was a ding as you saw, 2 is just one of those unarguable truths that get told to people with high scores.  Can't be false, can't be sued.

Anyway I do greatly appreciate your neatly providing confirmation of 80% being the high installment utilization boundary; now just looking for the one somewhere between 50 and 20%  

Many thanks!

Yes, this is pretty good evidence that 80% may be a threshold for a mortgage only installment loan. However, CAPTOOL's previous data on a score change below 70% aggregate balance to loan ratio was compelling as well. Credit profile may come into play as it does with # cards reporting and credit card UT%.

Ultimately there may be more than 2 threshold ratios but clearly the lower ones may be invisible to many profiles if they are already at 850. Perhaps before/after scores from other Fico scoring models - that don't have buffers can help establish lower threshold levels [mortgage scores, or enhanced Auto/Bankcard scores]. Unfortunately, most people don't track all their Fico scores so this can be difficult.

Yeah, I'm kind of skeptical of there being more than 2 thresholds, there just isn't that much room between 50 and 20 (which based on my data seems to be the lower bound for a breakpoint).  

I can't test for a good long while given I'm sitting 3 months into a 15 year mortgage unfortunately, but hopefully we'll get enough datapoints to be able to sort it one way or the other.  

Conclusively it can be stated smaller utilization ratio on open installment loans is better though, which from a FICO optimization perspective is really all people need to know.

        
Message 15 of 23
reneasworld
Regular Contributor

Congrats!

Starting Scores (5/2014): EQ 569, TU 601, EX 589
Current Scores (07/08/2015): EQ 640, TU 640, EX 654
Goal (12/2015): 700 across the board
Message 16 of 23
Cmikul
Regular Contributor

I thought the EX threshold for the mortgage was 66%.....

I had read elsewhere that the TU and EQ threshold's were higher than the EX. 

66% is a long way from 80% though....that's a long time to go without usage on the cards.

maybe one of those things that might need to be revisited in the future.

maybe even calender marked for when you cross certain % threshold's of your mortage Re-Zero cards 2 months prior and take a snap shot again everytime.

#guineapig

Message 17 of 23
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Big, big, big congratulations, bada_bing.  I want your score.  Keep it up.

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 18 of 23
taxi818
Super Contributor

@bada_bing wrote:

I've been on a quest for 850 FICO 8 scores for 20 months now. I know it's

irrelevant, but it keeps me incentivized in gardening. I did my monthly CCT

pull and was shocked to find I crossed the finish line on TU and EQ. Yeahhh Smiley Very Happy

I had been expecting I wouldn't make it to 850 until my newest account turned 2 years,

which will happen next March. Evidently "new accounts" isn't enough of a demerit to hold

me back. What evidently was holding me back was the balance owed on my mortgage

compared to the opening balance (utilization?). I just fell below 80% on the first of this month.

Evidently the 80% threshold is worth quite a few points to my profile. My scores moved from

last months pull:

TU 839 >>> 850

EQ 844 >>> 850

Curiously, my ex didn't change a point 849 >>> 849 

FICO's 2015-11-15.jpg

Anyway, I am continuing on with "gardening". There isn't anything I need to app for at this

time. I am wondering when my EX score will catch up? I also wonder why EX didn't get a bump

at all when the other two had multiple point increases this month ? All my reports have identical data

except EX shows a closed Cap1 and a Citi card that were both closed in 2008 by lender (for non-use)

that the other two reports no longer have. The old cards should help rather than hinder EX I would think.

Impressive op. Impressive indeed. Congrats. Nice quote as well about bill collectors. Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 23
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Re: Crossing the boundary - update -finally made it

Well, I logged onto my CCT account tonight to glance at my scores. There had been no

movement at all in any of my scores since I got the bump up on TU and EQ that put me to

my longterm goal of 850. EX hadn't moved and I was resigned to waiting it out for the next

minor milestones on my report. I have let my reported utilization drift back onto my daily driver

cards and currently have 3 cards of 5 reporting minor <1% balances. When I first cracked 850

on TU and EQ I had my reported utilization on only 1 card with a reported balance of less than 1%. I

wasn't expecting any changes for the next couple months and have been letting my spending report.

EX changed to 850 today ! I'm now at 850 FICO8 straight across the 3 bureaus Smiley Surprised I have no insight

into why the change on EX. If anything I wouldn't have been surprised by a point or two loss, as my

utilization isn't optimized anymore and I haven't crossed any suspected tier boundaries for account age

or loan to balance. I have no explanation unless EX actually "likes" for my profile to have more than

one account reporting a balance? The change is a negligible 1 point on EX, but that last point has been

stubborn. I really wonder now about the conventional wisdom that recommends only one card reporting

a balance for optimal scoring. At least for my profile and on EX only, that is not the case. 

Anyway my current reported utilization on EX:

USAA               0   owed      $25K CL

Freedom           0   owed      $10K CL

BCP               $131 owed     $50K CL

SM                 $  95  owed     $18.8K CL

BoA AK          $245 owed      $50K   CL

Anyway, it is the end of a FICO goal for me, and it took less time than I had anticipated. I was expecting it

to take at least 2+years of gardening. I got it in 20 months Smiley Happy No place to go now but down, at least

as far as FICO8 is concerned.

FICO.jpg

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.