Valued Member
thomasil74

Current Status: TOO NEW TO RATE and Closed revolving accounts

I am getting ready to buy a house, therefore I am trying to improve my FICO score as much as I can, and I need some help.  When I obtained my FICO score the report gave my some key factors affecting my score and these were:

The length of time your accounts have been established is relatively short. 

I do have a few revolving accounts and student loans that have a current status of TOO NEW TO RATE.  Are these negatively affecting my credit score and if so is there anything I can do?

Second a few years ago I made the mistake of closing most of my credit cards that had a $0 balance.  In doing some reading everybody recomments not to close any accounts, and if you do so it can have a negative impact on the credit score.  Is there anything I can do with the closed revolving accounts to improve my credit score?  Can I reopen them?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Moderator Emeritus
masdeocho

Re: Current Status: TOO NEW TO RATE and Closed revolving accounts

thomasil74 wrote:
I am getting ready to buy a house, therefore I am trying to improve my FICO score as much as I can, and I need some help.  When I obtained my FICO score the report gave my some key factors affecting my score and these were:

The length of time your accounts have been established is relatively short. 

I do have a few revolving accounts and student loans that have a current status of TOO NEW TO RATE.  Are these negatively affecting my credit score and if so is there anything I can do?

Second a few years ago I made the mistake of closing most of my credit cards that had a $0 balance.  In doing some reading everybody recomments not to close any accounts, and if you do so it can have a negative impact on the credit score.  Is there anything I can do with the closed revolving accounts to improve my credit score?  Can I reopen them?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What can you do?  Wait it out.  I know it's frustrating, but it's that simple.

It's not that your accounts being new is negatively affecting your socres; it's that you don't have any old accounts to positively affect them.

You could try calling your creditors and see if they would re-open the closed accounts.  Tell them that you do NOT want new accounts because that would defeat the purpose.  It's worth a try. 
-----------------
Bartender, bring another round of FICOtinis please!

9.4.2011: TU 805. EQ 815.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+