Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Status and Future of FICO 9

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Current Status and Future of FICO 9

I assume none of us know the exact answer to this, however I am just wondering based on the info that we have thus far, if there is any sign of FICO 9 becoming a tool used by lending institutions.  Would it be safe to say that most are likely at least testing the model?  I know it can take years for a new scoring model to be seen much out in the wild, and if I am not mistaken, FICO 9 has been out a couple of years, however I am wondering if we see any sign of this model coming to life.  

Any signs of how lending institutions feel about FICO 9?  As mentioned above, would it be safe to say that most are probably at least testing the model?

Is there any chance that FICO 9 may never really catch-on, or do all models eventually become more widely used?  Have models in the past ever been flat out rejected by most lending institutions?  

Thanks for any thoughts!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Current Status and Future of FICO 9

@EW800 wrote:

I assume none of us know the exact answer to this, however I am just wondering based on the info that we have thus far, if there is any sign of FICO 9 becoming a tool used by lending institutions.  Would it be safe to say that most are likely at least testing the model?  I know it can take years for a new scoring model to be seen much out in the wild, and if I am not mistaken, FICO 9 has been out a couple of years, however I am wondering if we see any sign of this model coming to life.  

Any signs of how lending institutions feel about FICO 9?  As mentioned above, would it be safe to say that most are probably at least testing the model?

Is there any chance that FICO 9 may never really catch-on, or do all models eventually become more widely used?  Have models in the past ever been flat out rejected by most lending institutions?  

Thanks for any thoughts!  

Marcus 

NFCU

LMFCU (I think this was the CU that was mentioned in another thread)

3 known lenders using already, all 3 fairly recent adoptions.  3ish years seems about right on schedule anecdotally from the FICO 8 adoption rate.

        
Message 2 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@EW800 wrote:

Thanks for any thoughts!  

Marcus 

NFCU

3 known lenders using already, all 3 fairly recent adoptions.  3ish years seems about right on schedule anecdotally from the FICO 8 adoption rate.

Revelate, have we confirmed that NFCU is actually using it for decisional purposes?

Also we can add Redstone FCU to list of FICO 9 users.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 15
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Slightly off topic, but I'm in no hurry to have lenders use fico 9 - seems my scores across the board are lower on 9 than on 8. 

Using the basic "Fico Score" rather than auto or bankcard, EQ -3, TU -23, EX -32 less/off my Fico 8 scores. I am currently running some debt on 0% APR accounts which has depressed my scores a bit, but over all utility is still under 10% (probably closer to 8%). 

Current scores Fico 8

FICO_scores_692017.JPG

Message 4 of 15
EW800
Valued Contributor

It sure seems like we see big variances with FICO 9 as compared to FICO 8, in both directions! In my case, my FICO 9 scores are about 50 points higher than FICO 8. I suspect that it is because I have a paid collection/settlement that we know FICO forgives.

I also have a foreclosure that is about a year or so from falling off. Has anyone seen any evidence that FICO 9 might be a bit more foregiving of an older foreclosure? It seems like my 50 or so point difference between the two models is a bit much if it is just the difference of the settlement.

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 5 of 15
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

It's do to the paid collection - IMO.

If the collection were your only public record & baddie - score difference could be up to 100 points. Based on what you mention, I'd guess the old foreclosure likely is holding down your F9 score about 50 points and F8 score by up to 100 points.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

If the collection were your only public record & baddie - score difference could be up to 100 points. Based on what you mention, I'd guess the old foreclosure likely is holding down your F9 score about 50 points and F8 score by up to 100 points.

Maybe, FICO 9 is way more forgiving on my tax lien; I lost points there getting it excluded on the rebucket.

I don't think we can categorically state what a negative costs as the scorecard ranges are just not the same.

        
Message 7 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Revelate wrote:
Marcus 

NFCU

Revelate, have we confirmed that NFCU is actually using it for decisional purposes?

Also we can add Redstone FCU to list of FICO 9 users.

Hmm, it's definitely FICO Open Access which means they're buying it, but if they are underwriting it as their primary score hard to say.

        
Message 8 of 15
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

Maybe, FICO 9 is way more forgiving on my tax lien; I lost points there getting it excluded on the rebucket.

I don't think we can categorically state what a negative costs as the scorecard ranges are just not the same.

^ Agreed - quantitative guestimates are just that - guestimates. That should be understood. Nonetheless, my read is posters with this type of question are asking for opinions knowing that answers are not being presented as fact but as educated guesses.

BTW - was your tax lien paid before it was excluded?

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 9 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

^ Agreed - quantitative guestimates are just that - guestimates. That should be understood. Nonetheless, my read is posters with this type of question are asking for opinions knowing that answers are not being presented as fact but as educated guesses.

BTW - was your tax lien paid before it was excluded?

Mea culpa I didn't write that well looking at it again, I was suggesting that prior data on old negatives is highly suspect for FICO 9 currently was all I was trying to get at.

Yup, paid and released.  Was counting to some extent as I had the PR/Collections reason code still on every TU model before it was excluded, and it's still there on EX a few months away from exclusion date (September if it doesn't get whacked by NCAP)... same identical reason codes though as FICO 8 and earlier, if paid were a thing, one would think it might vary.  Maybe.

We didn't add negative scorecards, so either possibly a paid or released tax lien (I had both listings on my report at various times, no swing on any score) is counted differently, or the maximum score of the derogatory scorecards is much higher than any prior FICO algorithm's.  Given how many people seem to have non-trivially higher FICO 9 scores with old derogatories, I'm leaning towards the expanded scoring range theory personally.

        
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.