cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currently Joint with my wife on Credit Card - what if I have her remove my name from the card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently Joint with my wife on Credit Card - what if I have her remove my name from the card

Will my score get bumped up if I have my wife remove my name from the account?  It's a $7,500 limit and we're basically at the limit.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Re: Currently Joint with my wife on Credit Card - what if I have her remove my name from the card

If are are joint (and not AU) removing your name will be very difficult. AUs have no obligation to the debt, but joint holders do. The ccc is not going to want to remove someone they could go after if the account went south.

Cheers 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Currently Joint with my wife on Credit Card - what if I have her remove my name from the card

I dont know this for a fact, but it seems to me it wouldnt do much to your credit as long as the account is in good standing.  It may hurt her credit however. 

You can remove a name from an account, but is difficult to do and they will still come after you even if your name was taking off the account.  This happened to me with an old account I had with an ex boyfriend.  They never reported on my fico, however, and I think the eventually gave up on trying to collect it.

Message 3 of 6
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@cobaltnv wrote:

If are are joint (and not AU) removing your name will be very difficult. AUs have no obligation to the debt, but joint holders do. The ccc is not going to want to remove someone they could go after if the account went south.

Cheers 

I agree. OP, look on your credit report or call the credit card company and find out if you are an authorized user or if you are a joint cardholder.

If joint...they are not going to let you off. If authorized user, tell them you want off.

If you have a $7,500 card that is maxed, it is hurting your score. Where is the card from? AmEx? BofA? Citi? Discover? A credit union?

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

One way to remove yourself is to just take the card out of your wallet and cut it up.
Message Edited by RobertEG on 12-03-2009 09:14 PM
Message 5 of 6
laz98
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:
One way to remove yourself is to just take the card out of your wallet and cut it up.
Message Edited by RobertEG on 12-03-2009 09:14 PM

how does that remove him from being financially obligated on the account?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.