cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD 10/2006 LVNV AND NEW CA CALLING FOR THIS ACCOUNT?

tag
stillworking
New Contributor

DOFD 10/2006 LVNV AND NEW CA CALLING FOR THIS ACCOUNT?

I had a first premier in 2006, that I never used.  Disputed it several times; most recent in august with LVNV.  NOW, it is at the 7 year limit and it should come off my credit report.  BUT, a new collection agency is calling about the same debt from LVNV saying they hold the account now.  Is this legal? NO PFD accepted.  I want to buy a house and do not need a new collection tanking my score. 

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: FICO EQ 790, TU 696, EX 683
Goal Score:
700+ across the board

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: DOFD 10/2006 LVNV AND NEW CA CALLING FOR THIS ACCOUNT?

Yes, it is legal.  They can sell the debt to another CA, and this happens quite often when a debt is about to be excluded due to the CRTP expiring.  This does not reset the DOFD of the debt, it will still fall off after 7 years so it's on life support now.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Yes, it is legal.  They can sell the debt to another CA, and this happens quite often when a debt is about to be excluded due to the CRTP expiring.  This does not reset the DOFD of the debt, it will still fall off after 7 years so it's on life support now.

how long does that last?? Does the new CA collect for another 7 years?? Or just the original  7 years? Thanks.

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@newmomnewme wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

how long does that last?? Does the new CA collect for another 7 years?? Or just the original  7 years? Thanks.

Any new CA can collect forever. I had a debt that got purchased or collected upon by 6-7 different CAs. 15 years later, the latest CA is still trying to collect. They can collect forever. 

In terms of reporting, the law is clear: they can only report for 7-7.5 yrs from the DOFD of the debt (via the OC). So, in my example, it dropped approx. 8 years ago. It can't report. It would be illegal to do so. Once that 7-7.5 yrs hits, then the CA is out of luck in terms of reporting. In OP's case, the DOFD was in 2006, so whoever is reporting must stop sometime inside the next few months (depends on when in 2006 the DOFD was). The CRA will automatically delete it.

In terms of suing, OP's SOL might be out so no risk of being sued. YMMV on your state's laws. In a couple of states, IIRC, a payment years after the expiration of the SOL's expiration can automatically restart it. OP shouldn't pay it unless he/she pays it off. Personally, I recommend letting it fade away.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.