Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dangers of AU?

tag
Nick777
Valued Member

Dangers of AU?

Hello all - this question has to do with Authorized Users (AU). I am considering giving AU privileges to my girlfriend and my brother. However, I want to be protected; I don't want to sound paranoid, but it is possible that someone would try to actually use the card for a charge or cash advance. How can I protect myself from this happening - just give someone the benefits, but avoid having the risk? Thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dangers of AU?

Nick777 wrote:
Hello all - this question has to do with Authorized Users (AU). I am considering giving AU privileges to my girlfriend and my brother. However, I want to be protected; I don't want to sound paranoid, but it is possible that someone would try to actually use the card for a charge or cash advance. How can I protect myself from this happening - just give someone the benefits, but avoid having the risk? Thanks in advance!

You can add them as an AU without giving them a card. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 7
Nick777
Valued Member

Is it possible that someone could still either use the card or call up the credit card company and get a new card issued?
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As hard as I have been working on my FICO scores, I don't believe I would trust an AU...especially if they have a card. No way.
Message 4 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Nick777 wrote:

Are you just talking about benefits of more age and credit lines on their CRs?  If so, they don't need to know the card number or anything!!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Is it possible that someone could still either use the card or call up the credit card company and get a new card issued?" Yes. They can certainly see the tradeline on their report, and call the issuer for a card. If you don't trust them, don't make them an AU.

Message Edited by okrogius on 06-01-2007 12:42 PM
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

okrogius wrote:
If you don't trust them, don't make them an AU.

Message Edited by okrogius on 06-01-2007 12:42 PM

Exactly.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.