Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead Dad's Card and Name

tag
Neblett
Regular Contributor

Dead Dad's Card and Name

Okay, here's a weird one for ya!

Just got an alert. My FICO score went up 10 points. But I think the reason is because somehow my dead father's JCPenney card (joint account with my mother, who has passed away too) got reported to my EQ report in the last day or so, through no action of mine. It just appeared. Good pay history (of course the pay history begins 2 years before I was born...) and no lates.

BUT - the name on the account is my dad's - he's a Robert, too. But with a different middle initial. Now my credit report from EQ is showing his name instead of mine.

Do I request the name change, and request the JCP account be eliminated? Or do I keep the JCP account on, but if so, will I keep running into problems with my middle initial being "wrong"?

Halp!

Message Edited by Neblett on 07-04-2007 09:15 AM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dead Dad's Card and Name

Honestly, I would just leave it unless it reports as derog.
Message 2 of 9
Neblett
Regular Contributor

My main concern is that with my father's name replacing my name on my EQ report, will this lead to bigger problems down the road? Regarding having to PROVE my identity?
Message 3 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

It wouldn't replace yours.. you could however see more of his accounts popup. You can always dispute them as not yours.
Message 4 of 9
Neblett
Regular Contributor

But it HAS replaced my name. Just got an alert from EQ of a name change to my account - and it's his name.

SSN and date of birth are still the same.
Message 5 of 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

It has replaced your name, or it is showing as another name?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The next major change to your CB will replace the name.  My last name was mis-spelled by a creditor who reported, and for a few weeks, I needed to make sure that I use the incorrect name for verifying with things like TU disputes.  I also have this problem with old addresses and my ex-husbands address replacing my current address.  I do not really think it makes a difference to anyone if you were to apply for new credit, etc.  eventually one of your accounts will replace the name back to yours.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ekuzniar wrote:
The next major change to your CB will replace the name.  My last name was mis-spelled by a creditor who reported, and for a few weeks, I needed to make sure that I use the incorrect name for verifying with things like TU disputes. 

Me too... My name was "replaced" by a new tl (really not new, just started reporting) with my maiden name. I still (after 3 months of disputing) can not get experian to change it. I have, however changed my name with the creditor (chevron), So hopefully it will shake out.
The biggest yank is that I can not do online disputes with EX because the old information does not jibe with my correct information...according to them, they must know me better than I know myself!!! Smiley Surprised

I get a message saying that I must communicate by mail because they can't verify my identity. blah, blah, blah!!!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going through something similar with Experian. My credit report is not showing any of my positive TL's. They have changed the name to my married name, which has been the only name I used for the last 2 years, but they still won't add the info. I don't have a EX score on FICO because my TL's are less than 6 months, which could be good because the info is all positive, but on credit expert and vantage it only shows the bad stuff. I have been trying to get them to change it. Hopefully it will be done soon because I would rather have it show up on one report so I could watch it and not be surprised by any baddies down the road.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.