Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declines hurt more?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Declines hurt more?

Looking at CCT, my EQ score should be the same or higher than TU/EX. But it is 6 points lower at 727 vs 733.

Same accounts with same balances. Only difference is in inquiries where EQ has fewer inquiries then the other bureaus. CCT says two but in fact there are three, I think they are not counting T-Mobile.

However one of those is the Chase inquiry, for which I got declined. Do they somehow know that since I have no Chase card on my report?

The only clue is I have the "you have recently been seeking new credit" factor stated on EQ but not on the other two bureaus, even though the others have the same or higher number of INQ.

Either EQ puts more weight on them. Or there is something different about them, namely that decline.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Declines hurt more?

What about the age of the inquiries? Are the ones on EQ newer?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The inquiries on Experian are newer and more numerous than Equifax. All my inquiries on both are under a year old, first one will hit the one year mark in October.

So it isn't age.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still mystifying me. I noticed the Chase HP is also on my EX but my score is higher.

Account info is IDENTICAL between TU/EQ, same accounts, same limits, same balances, same opening dates.

Inquiries differ but in a way that should hurt my TU score. My most recent April INQ appears on TU but not on EX. They both have two more under 1 year, TU has BoA and Amex in November, EX only has Amex, but also has an October hit from T-Mobile.

Yet EX score is lower.

Confused.
Message 4 of 6
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I think it is just the differences in FICO models between the CRAs.  It is one of the complaints against FICO is the same data on different CRAs is scored differently.  FICO 08 isn't as bad as the earlier models, but each CRA still has their secret sauce.  VG 3.0 have much more consistent scoring.  FICO 9 is, also, supposed to be more consistent across CRAs.

I would be very skeptical that decline HP/INQs count more.  Obviously, I don't know, but I believe all types of HP/INQs count the same.   On manual review, they may be differences in how the person views different types of INQ/HP (e.g. auto/CC vs Verizon).  There are is also the grouping for auto/mortgage INQs within a short period of time, but that is not the issue here.

Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditDunce wrote:

I think it is just the differences in FICO models between the CRAs.  It is one of the complaints against FICO is the same data on different CRAs is scored differently.  FICO 08 isn't as bad as the earlier models, but each CRA still has their secret sauce.  VG 3.0 have much more consistent scoring.  FICO 9 is, also, supposed to be more consistent across CRAs.

I would be very skeptical that decline HP/INQs count more.  Obviously, I don't know, but I believe all types of HP/INQs count the same.   On manual review, they may be differences in how the person views different types of INQ/HP (e.g. auto/CC vs Verizon).  There are is also the grouping for auto/mortgage INQs within a short period of time, but that is not the issue here.

+1

They don't.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.