Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decrease in FICO score but no drastic change

tag
reneasworld
Regular Contributor

Decrease in FICO score but no drastic change

So, after a recent illness, I am attempting to get my FICO score back up. I have been working on it for the last 5 months and would like to see it in the 700s. My FICO Equifax score was at 589 and today I received a drop to 575 and they only thing that happened was a drop in credit utilization on one of my cards of about $7. I don't understand why the large drop.  I don't know my current Experian score but on My FICO my Equifax is 575 (is my FICO still accurate), on Credit Karma (575) which is Transunion.  Any input on understanding this would be great. Thanks! Also, suggesting for pulling up the score. I have a large number of things that were affecting my credit that should be coming off in the next couple of months and know they will probably help but many of them are old? I don't think they will influence too much because they are so old.

Starting Scores (5/2014): EQ 569, TU 601, EX 589
Current Scores (07/08/2015): EQ 640, TU 640, EX 654
Goal (12/2015): 700 across the board
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Decrease in FICO score but no drastic change

Credit reports are complex animals (interaction wise) and unfortunately Scorewatch is smoething of a blunt instrument as it doesn't catch a lot of subtle changes: unless something overt like a balance changes, or something new gets added to the report (inquiry, tradeline, derogatory) it doesn't pick it up... and a lot can happen unfortunately in that margin (like an existing tradeline or derogatory changing it's reporting status, which can be huge).

It's incredibly hard without looking at the full before and after report for anyone to say: yup that's it!  And even with that, it requires a lot of analysis and as such I really can't make any reasonable suggestions for why you lost the points: also I'd suggest it wasn't a huge change, there will be lots of ups and downs like that through the course of your rebuilding, don't stress out over that, otherwise it'll get REALLY fustruating.

Regarding old derogatories: not every derogatory is created equally in severity, and while newer derogs are definitely higher penalty (assuming same severity / type) it looks like with my tax liens anyway that FICO was also doing an aggregate count in there: as such, reducing the number of derogatory tradelines of any age can produce non-trivial benefits to one's score.  Virtually any negative information being removed is a good thing, regardless of whether it's 10 minutes or 10 years old.

        
Message 2 of 3
reneasworld
Regular Contributor

Re: Decrease in FICO score but no drastic change

Thanks for the information!

Starting Scores (5/2014): EQ 569, TU 601, EX 589
Current Scores (07/08/2015): EQ 640, TU 640, EX 654
Goal (12/2015): 700 across the board
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.