Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decreased Balance of CC and score decreased

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Decreased Balance of CC and score decreased

I am a little baffled as to why my score decreased when I paid down my credit card. I was under the impression when you increase the available credit limit, this is better for your credit score. So based on the current event, if I decreased my available balance, my score would have gone up? I am thoroughly confused as to why and how this is happening.

Example...$300 credit limit on CC, Balance of $65.00,  Available credit $235.00 Score *45

Recieved Score Alert...CC Balance $29. Available credit $271.00 score now *43.

Someone please explain this to me....Like I am a 3rd grader, please.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Re: Decreased Balance of CC and score decreased

@Anonymous wrote:

I am a little baffled as to why my score decreased when I paid down my credit card. I was under the impression when you increase the available credit limit, this is better for your credit score. So based on the current event, if I decreased my available balance, my score would have gone up? I am thoroughly confused as to why and how this is happening.

Example...$300 credit limit on CC, Balance of $65.00,  Available credit $235.00 Score *45

Recieved Score Alert...CC Balance $29. Available credit $271.00 score now *43.

Someone please explain this to me....Like I am a 3rd grader, please.

Do you have only one credit card?  For optimal scoring, it is best to have a minimum of three cards.  Let all but one report a zero balance.  The one reporting a balance should be at or below 7% utilization for best results.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the input. I only have 2 CC's.  I will have to consider opening up another CC account. I am still baffled by a decrease in score due to a $24 decrease in the balance.

Message 3 of 4
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the input. I only have 2 CC's.  I will have to consider opening up another CC account. I am still baffled by a decrease in score due to a $24 decrease in the balance.

Are both cards reporting 0 balance?  Maybe before opening a new account, I would let one card report a balance with low utilization and the other card report a zero balance. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.