Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defferred Student Loans?

tag
determine2009
Valued Member

Defferred Student Loans?

How do student loans that are in deferrment affect your credit score? I am currently still in school so all of my student loans are in deferrment, however it is a large amount because I went to a private college for my bachelor, and had loans from my associate as well.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: Defferred Student Loans?

I'd actually be interested in knowing the answer to this one too. Smiley Happy carrying a couple around myself Smiley Wink

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 2 of 3
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Defferred Student Loans?

I did some poking around on the Student Loans board about this. I wish I could say this with my voice (my fingers?) ringing with confidence, but I can't. But as best as I can tell, they have very little effect on your scores. *Maybe* (maybe, maybe) it would help a bit if you could do a one-time payment on principal without jeopardizing your deferment status, but I don't know how that works, so please investigate first!!! I don't want you to screw up your deferment.

I know that I got some points back after making my first payment on an auto loan, so that it was no longer 100% util. Wasn't huge, though, 3-5 points?

I found this post by SCF, with his/her comments in blue on the quote. And my daughter has some astonishing student loans (medical school) on her reports that are in deferment, and her scores are in the 760's and above, so I really don't think that this is a problem for your scores.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=studentloans&message.id=2329#M2329

Kinda pitiful, but hope this helps!

(I did an Advanced search, using deferred scores in the top search box, and choosing "Student Loans" as the area to search. I ran out of gas after the third page. Smiley Tongue )
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.