Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining the Correct Number of Inquiries

tag
_John_Doe
Contributor

Determining the Correct Number of Inquiries

Are Inquiries listed on sites like Credit Karma accurate? I am in the process of doing may annual review of my credit reports and noticed that the number of inquiries does not match the actual report.

For example, my TU report lists 5 inquiries (all from auto and home loan) while Credit Karma says its 9. Ditto for Equifax. I count 6 but Credit Karma shows 11. I was under impression that pulls in the same time period and for the same reason count as 1 pull. Is that incorrect?

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: EQ 709 EXP 702 TU 700
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Determining the Correct Number of Inquiries

@_John_Doe wrote:

Are Inquiries listed on sites like Credit Karma accurate? I am in the process of doing may annual review of my credit reports and noticed that the number of inquiries does not match the actual report.

For example, my TU report lists 5 inquiries (all from auto and home loan) while Credit Karma says its 9. Ditto for Equifax. I count 6 but Credit Karma shows 11. I was under impression that pulls in the same time period and for the same reason count as 1 pull. Is that incorrect?

Yes, that's incorrect.  Fico scores auto and mortgage inquiries done relatively close together as one inquiry but each individual inquiry will still show and be counted in the total. Any other type of inquiries like credit cards are not scored as one  and also will show individually.  

Message 2 of 11
_John_Doe
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@_John_Doe wrote:

Yes, that's incorrect.  Fico scores auto and mortgage inquiries done relatively close together as one inquiry but each individual inquiry will still show and be counted in the total. Any other type of inquiries like credit cards are not scored as one  and also will show individually.  

Ok, that is what I was referring to. The auto pulls and the mortgage pulls would count as one for each. Any other pull for a credit card would count as a single pull per event.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@_John_Doe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@_John_Doe wrote:

Ok, that is what I was referring to. The auto pulls and the mortgage pulls would count as one for each. Any other pull for a credit card would count as a single pull per event.

I think you're still confused.  They only count as one for Fico scoring purposes but still count as individual inquiries.  For example if you have 15 auto loan inquiries in a 2 week period, Fico would score them as one but you still would have 15 inquiries showing on your credit report.  Where this can be harmful is if a computer declines you for too many inquiries because it sees15.  A credit analyst should be able to tell but it's still possible to be declined for excessive inquiries even if Fico scored them as one.

Message 4 of 11
_John_Doe
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@_John_Doe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@_John_Doe wrote:

I think you're still confused.  They only count as one for Fico scoring purposes but still count as individual inquiries.  For example if you have 15 auto loan inquiries in a 2 week period, Fico would score them as one but you still would have 15 inquiries showing on your credit report.  Where this can be harmful is if a computer declines you for too many inquiries because it sees15.  A credit analyst should be able to tell but it's still possible to be declined for excessive inquiries even if Fico scored them as one.

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying,

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@_John_Doe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@_John_Doe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@_John_Doe wrote:

Ah I see. Thanks for clarifying,

You're very welcome.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like the OP had two questions.  One was about whether FICO in its score groups certain kinds of inquiries together and if so how.  That's what the commenters have been discussing so far.  He seems to have getten some resolution on that.

But his original post seemed to have another problem as well.  It sounded like he was pulling credit reports from two different sources: e.g, a TU report (possibly from AnnualCreditReport.com?  myFICO?) and his TU report from Credit Karma.  He is comparing the two TU reports and he sees 5 inquiries listed on one and 9 inquiries listed on the other.  Likewise, he's got two EQ reports (one obtained through Karma, the other somewhere else) and he sees 6 inquiries listed on one and 11 on the other.

OP, am I understanding you right?  If so, where are you getting the non-Karma reports?  Is it myFICO?  AnnualCreditReport.com?  Somewhere else?  You mention that you are doing your annual review of your credit reports.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the credit reports pulled directly only list inquiries from the last 12 months, while Credit Karma lists them from the last two years.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Captool.  Most credit reports (whether you get them through ACR, Karma, directly from the CRA, etc.) will list all inquiries from the last two years.  But someone mentioned recently here on the MF forum that the 3-bureau report that comes with the myFICO product is only listing inquiries from the last 365 days.

That's why I was curious to hear where the OP was getting his non-Karma reports.  I will be getting my MF report and scores on July 4th... it would actually be awesome for me if it only listed those inquiries that FICO considers in the score.

Message 9 of 11
_John_Doe
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It sounds like the OP had two questions.  One was about whether FICO in its score groups certain kinds of inquiries together and if so how.  That's what the commenters have been discussing so far.  He seems to have getten some resolution on that.

But his original post seemed to have another problem as well.  It sounded like he was pulling credit reports from two different sources: e.g, a TU report (possibly from AnnualCreditReport.com?  myFICO?) and his TU report from Credit Karma.  He is comparing the two TU reports and he sees 5 inquiries listed on one and 9 inquiries listed on the other.  Likewise, he's got two EQ reports (one obtained through Karma, the other somewhere else) and he sees 6 inquiries listed on one and 11 on the other.

OP, am I understanding you right?  If so, where are you getting the non-Karma reports?  Is it myFICO?  AnnualCreditReport.com?  Somewhere else?  You mention that you are doing your annual review of your credit reports.

I was pulling actual reports from the three bureaus and then comparing them to Credit Karma's data. The indivudual reports were via the Annual Credit Report site.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.