Did you mean: 

Did I get rebucketed ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Did I get rebucketed ?

@Anonymous wrote:
What is rebucketted? Couldn't find it on google

Rebucketing is the same thing as "moving to a different scorecard."  It sometimes involves losing some points temporarily.  If you go to the second post in this thread, you'll see a long post I wrote explaining what our OP meant by rebucketing and scorecards -- for the benefit of people reading the thread who didn't know.

Message 21 of 24
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Nope, nothing else I'd be concerned about.

Given all the information, I'd have to agree that some sort of rebucketing is going on. And given this score hit, I'm just glad I'm not in the 1 year / 3 year phase anymore. That really bites if rebucketing is the case. Talk about early negative feedback for doing what you can to build your credit profile. SMH.

NRB525,

Since my next big purchase is 2 years away , I believe there is enough time for me to regain back my score . But if this rebucketing is going to happen every August from now on , I may have to prepone or postpone the purchase as far away from August. Do you think rebucketing will be a repetitive pattern that might happen , say next August 2016 , when my old account turns 4 years and AAoA turns 2 years ? I was not able to understand the 8 scorecards stuff that was mentioned in the previous posts . Does it mean every year from now I would be rebucketed  ? Thanks for the inputs. 

Well, I would hope not, I am actually hoping that you return in a few weeks with news that the points all came back, because this is not a good algorithm change.

Whether this level of issue occurs each year, lets hope not on that also. Gain 35 points by next August, only to lose 25 on August 1, not a happy thought.

If it were me, I'd look into gaming this issue to prevent the current alignment of dates.

Consider, if you do no apps, your averages will indeed line up for perpetuity as shown in the first set of calculations below.

If, however, you find one more card and app at almost any time, you will throw the "years" out of alignment so they don't match up again. That's the second scenario, adding one account today. Heck, doing this may even throw the CURRENT loss of points out of alignment, where you get most of them back when the new card reports in a few weeks, because it has changed your bucket alignment again.

Is this prescription scientific? absolutely not. Would I do it? yep.

Aging Multiple Cards.JPG

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks guys.  Delighted to hear that the "8 clean scorecards" for FICO 8 can be found in published literature.  I don't have any difficulty believing that Revelate is right that it has been.  He's right about a lot!  :-)  But R if you happen to know where FICO published that I'd be curious to see it.  (Again, not a question of doubt, more just liking to know when I say a thing where and what I am basing it on.)

I agree with R too, however, that there are two more interesting questions (which I think R says he hasn't every seen a published source for):

(a)  Exactly what factors go into distinguishing the 8 scorecards

and

(b)  how are those factors are used (breakpoints, etc.)

TT, it sounds like Liz is the only one we know who states (a) and that nobody we know states (b).  Her acknowledgments section is midly helpful but doesn't really get to where she found out THAT particular piece of info.  Does she have a footnote or anything that would give us more information about it?  E.g. a footnote referencing Craig Watts, or Ulzheimer, etc.?  I am guessing not, but I am still hoping she does.  If we could know that she is right here, that is important and valuable information to have.

If you are willing to tell us the page number and perhaps post a scanned image of the page (or just type out her entire quote) that would also be helpful -- I'd have no problem reaching out to her and asking her if she can tell us more where she found that out.

I didn't find the FICO release easily though I know I've seen it before, but turns out Transunion on their disclosures helpfully publish the number scorecards for literally EVERY score they sell apparently.

https://www.transunion.com/docs/financialServices/FS_ScoresOverview.pdf

While searching I did find an old thread (that I apparently posted on years later when someone bumped, go me foggy memory these days) that has a bunch of good conjecture and data from the old guard.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/FICO-Scoring-Buckets-or-quot-Scorecards-quot/td-p/325574

        
Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Revelate!

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.