Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*Did the Sallie "FIX" cause a new problem?*

tag
Logical
Regular Contributor

Re: *Did the Sallie "FIX" cause a new problem?*

I just checked TC and Sallie Mae disappeared from Equifax  Smiley Surprised
and, no, I was not affected by the previous problem.
Message 11 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Lordy, lordy. Looks like it will take a while before all this percolates through... Smiley Sad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I also saw the account number change in the scorewatch alert. So I imagine they changed account numbers for everyone. Are both accounts showing as active and open? I wonder if this was another 'rule change' or whatnot rolled into this one, and we only are aware of the one that caused a problem. Has anyone been able to find out what regulation is behind this goof up yet?

Haven't received an alert yet for my score, and I'm not willing to pay to pull my report so I can't say if it's happened to me.
Message 13 of 18
kbns625
Valued Member

Sallie Mae's latest foul-up
Jeremy Simon
| May 15, 2008 |

Excerpt:
Student loan giant Sallie Mae appears to have spoken too soon when it said a credit reporting issue that impacted about 1 million student loan borrowers had been resolved. Yes, they fixed the problem that made it look like students were deadbeats. But some borrowers are now reporting that in doing so, it replaced one problem with another, making it look like borrowers have twice as much debt.

http://blogs.creditcards.com/2008/05/sallie-mae-equifax-credit-report.php
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was affected by the initial SM "error", which was fixed for me yesterday.  I had the "account number changed" issue as well as the derog. notation, causing my 103 point drop.  But all is well as of today (no ScoreWatch email, but I pulled a new ScoreWatch report), I'm back up where I was, no duplicates. 

So it appears to me as if the duplicates do not affect nearly as many people as the initial issue, which is good. 
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL, no I haven't received a customer service survey from Sallie Mae, although I would love to let them know exactly what I think of them right now.  What I did get was almost as amusing though.  I called SM Monday morning to ask why they had caused my credit to drop 133 points.  No one could help me, and after listening to my long rant about how they had destroyed my credit, the clueless kid on the other end of the phone cheerfully asked me if I was planning to make any big purchases in the future because Sallie Mae has some great new personal loan programs that I might be interested in.  'Seriously?  I just told you that you destroyed my credit.  Do you really think I'm going to be buying anything at all in the near future and if I do make a purchase, do you really think that I'm coming back to you for a loan?' 

Message Edited by wm94 on 05-16-2008 05:39 AM
Message 16 of 18
kbns625
Valued Member

I spoke with Rose at the Consumer Advocate Unit yesterday - she let me know it was fixed this morning. I checked - it has been fixed, no double reporting anymore. For me at least. Good luck to everyone...
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

All six of my loans with Sallie Mae were affected by "partial payment" comment because they are in the Grad Choice 2 payment plan. I never received a score alert, I have Equifax's score watch. However, I do have Truecredit and the comment was added to all of my accounts. I updated today and the comments are gone and I don't have duplicates. However, two of my accounts are now gone. If they would like to forgive those loans, that would be okay with me Smiley Happy.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.