cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Didn't pay my auto insurance, will that effect my credit report and score?

tag
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Didn't pay my auto insurance, will that effect my credit report and score?

I didn't pay my auto insurance and it is now terminated.  Will this have an effect on my credit?  The policy date ended without a payment to renew it.  I sent my payment in today, a week later.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Didn't pay my auto insurance, will that effect my credit report and score?

I think you should be fine. I haven't heard anything about insurance companies reporting late payments for auto insurance. Of course, I might be wrong, but a search in these forums didn't turn up anything. Let see if others have a different story to tell.

Message 2 of 3
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Didn't pay my auto insurance, will that effect my credit report and score?

@joestay wrote:

I didn't pay my auto insurance and it is now terminated.  Will this have an effect on my credit?  The policy date ended without a payment to renew it.  I sent my payment in today, a week later.

Depending on the laws of your State you may hear from them demanding payment of a penalty for letting your insurance lapse.  In many States the insurance company is required to notify the State when a policy on a registered vehicle has been cancelled, so the State can then ask the owner of that vehicle for proof that coverage as required by law had been maintained.

You are also extremely lucky you were not involved in an accident during the period without coverage; I've been hit by an uninsured motorist and they were in a lot of trouble for that.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.