Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference in FICO 08 Scores at Equifax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference in FICO 08 Scores at Equifax

Hello, I've been reading here regularly for a while and I've searched the forum for a definitive answer on this and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for (apologies if I have missed it). I accessed my FICO 08 scores at Credit Check Total today (the first time I've downloaded my actual FICO 08s), and was surprised that my Equifax score was much lower than Transunion and Experian.  To answer the obvious questions, the reports are mostly showing the same information (see below) and they are legitimate FICO 08s. So my question is what's up with Equifax?

Equifax 663

Utilization: 12% (on 50.2k available)

159,619.00 in mortgage debt

40,694.00 in installment debt

2 late accounts (1.3 years ago- don't get me started on this)

6 inquiries (4 in last year, 2 in last 6 months)

no public records

4.1 years oldest account (2.8 years AAoA)

22 total accounts

Transunion 722

35472.00 in installment debt

2 late accounts (1.3 years ago)

7 inquiries (6 in last year, 5 in 6 months)

no public records

20 total accounts

Experian 719

Mortgage doesn't show

8448.00 in installment debt

1 late accounts (1.3 years ago)

7 inquiries (3 in last year, 2 in 6 months)

no public records

18 total accounts

The revolving debt levels are the same across all reports. You'll see that the Equifax and TransUnion are mostly identical, 2 small installment accounts (work-related) that are a little over 3 years old (all on-time payments) show on Equifax and not TransUnion so that's the only big differences. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Difference in FICO 08 Scores at Equifax

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, I've been reading here regularly for a while and I've searched the forum for a definitive answer on this and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for (apologies if I have missed it). I accessed my FICO 08 scores at Credit Check Total today (the first time I've downloaded my actual FICO 08s), and was surprised that my Equifax score was much lower than Transunion and Experian.  To answer the obvious questions, the reports are mostly showing the same information (see below) and they are legitimate FICO 08s. So my question is what's up with Equifax?

Equifax 663

no public records

22 total accounts

Transunion 722

no public records

20 total accounts

Experian 719

Mortgage doesn't show

no public records

18 total accounts

The revolving debt levels are the same across all reports. You'll see that the Equifax and TransUnion are mostly identical, 2 small installment accounts (work-related) that are a little over 3 years old (all on-time payments) show on Equifax and not TransUnion so that's the only big differences. Thoughts?

Why the differences in the total accounts?  Determine the missing accounts and my guess you'll determine the difference in the scoring.  This big of a difference in scores suggest a derog of some kind. 

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Equifax 663

no public records

22 total accounts

Transunion 722

no public records

20 total accounts

Experian 719

Mortgage doesn't show

no public records

18 total accounts

Why the differences in the total accounts?  Determine the missing accounts and my guess you'll determine the difference in the scoring.  This big of a difference in scores suggest a derog of some kind. 

Thanks for the quick reply!  The Equifax report has 2 installment accounts (both 3 years old, paid on-time, and nearly paid in full) that aren't reporting with any other bureau.  There is one older installment with a late payment, but it's reporting on both TransUnion and Equifax. Experian is missing the 3 aforementioned accounts plus my mortgage, no derogs there.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are the date of the lates and how late were they? No charge offs or collections of any kind? Any disputes?

Also is the installment listed for 40K on EQ, 35K on TU and 8K on EX the same installment or different? If same, why are the balances so different?

Message 4 of 19
CreditBob
Established Contributor

I see that in Equifax you have a higher balance in installment debt?  Is it a student loan that in deferred or in forbearance? Was your mortgage loan opened recently or how long ago?  Have you opened any new accounts within the last two years? And lastly, have you possibly overlooked something, just asking? I see that Equifax has 22 accounts on it. The thought on that is you have lowered your average account age down? That will happen when you open new accounts.

Other than that the only thing that I can suggest is doing a 3B report from all three through the Myfico website?

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
What are the date of the lates and how late were they? No charge offs or collections of any kind? Any disputes?

Also is the installment listed for 40K on EQ, 35K on TU and 8K on EX the same installment or different? If same, why the so different balances?

The lates were both 30 days, 8/2015 and 11/2015. (On a $1 balance but that's neither here nor there)

No charge offs, no collections, no public records, no disputes 

This is the breakdown on installments

Reporting same to all 3

$8,448.00

Reporting same to TU and EQ (nothing for EX)

$27,024.00 

Reporting only to EQ, no negatives, 3 years old, 12.5 starting balance on both

$2,922.00

$2,300.00

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditBob wrote:

I see that in Equifax you have a higher balance in installment debt?  Is it a student loan that in deferred or in forbearance? Was your mortgage loan opened recently or how long ago?  Have you opened any new accounts within the last two years? And lastly, have you possibly overlooked something, just asking? I see that Equifax has 22 accounts on it. The thought on that is you have lowered your average account age down? That will happen when you open new accounts.

Other than that the only thing that I can suggest is doing a 3B report from all three through the Myfico website?

I broke down the installment loans above, none are student loans. The mortgage was opened in July 2015.  I have 3 new accounts on opened in last year- 1 is a credit card reporting to all 3, 1 is an installment loan reporting to all 3, and 1 is an installment loan reporting to both EQ and TU but not EX. My average age of account is the same accorss all 3.

Thanks to both of you for helping me dig deeper into this.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the 12% of 50K on one CC or multiple cards? Is it a CC, charge card or AU? If multiple card, can you break down the utilization/CL of each?
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Is the 12% of 50K on one CC or multiple cards? Is it a CC, charge card or AU? If multiple card, can you break down the utilization/CL of each?

Sure! Here is the current breakdown (same on all 3 cards):

7 Cards showing a balance (all CC, 12 total cards)

1. $5/5000 0.1%

2. $39/300 13%

3. $66/750 8.8%

4. $29/300 9.67%

5. $4388/10000 43.9%

6. $805/12200 6.6%

7. $743/3000 24.8%

Again, each report shows same balance across each card. Side-note, I know this many statement balances is not a good way to optimize my score. Several annual fees hit at once on cards I rarely use. Additionally, Card #5 typically doesn't have such a large balance, just forgot to pay off before statement cut.  But again, this info is reflected on all 3 reports, Equifax is the only that seems to care (if this is the reason for the big gap between that report and the others).

Message 9 of 19
CreditBob
Established Contributor

From what you are stating I can see two things. The first thing is that you opened three accounts within the last year. The second one, and I am just going to take an educated guess, is that you have three new accounts with high balances. In addition you have inquiries within the last 12 months. And opening new accounts has caused your average account age to drop.

I found this for Experian but it will help give you a better idea.

https://www.figfcu.com/documents/fico/FICO%C2%AE%20Score%20Factors%20Guide%20-%20Experian.pdf

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.