Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference of over 40 points...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Difference of over 40 points...

My TransUnion score is over 40 points lower than my Equifax score, is this normal? Or should I go line by line on each of these credit reports to compare?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Difference of over 40 points...

@Anonymous wrote:

My TransUnion score is over 40 points lower than my Equifax score, is this normal? Or should I go line by line on each of these credit reports to compare?

Hello and welcome.

That's not unusual at least in my experience. My TU score is 39 points lower than my EQ.

But it's not a bad idea to compare the 2 reports. Seldom though will the information be exactly the same. Plus TU and EQ give different weight and emphasis to different parts of your report.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Difference of over 40 points...

FICO, in one of their webinars a few years ago, stated that score variations between the CRA scoring up to approx 30 pts can typically occur.

Once differences get above approx 30 points, they suggest that there are probably some significant differences in the data included in their credit files.

I would suggest, based on thier advice, that you get the best available CR from each CRA and carefully review them for differences.

The best reports you can get, if not ordered withing the last 12 months, is from annualcreditreport.com.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.