Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences in Credit Scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Differences in Credit Scores

Does anyone knows what might account for a different Credit Score on different sites?  One transunion score via VantageScore shows my score to be 698.  With ScoreSense it is 669.. hmmm.... MyFico shows 30 points lower than ScoreSense for Equifax.   Which should I believe??

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Differences in Credit Scores

The only scores that lenders use are FICO scores.  You can get your EQ Fico score here.  You can get a version of the TU score here also, though most lenders use an upgraded model of the TU (called TU04), and scores can be higher or lower from the TU98 here at MYFICO.  There is nowhere to get your Experien score online - only thru a lender.

Most people here use other site's credit monitoring only to see what is on their credit reports, but the advice is to totally ignore those scores as they use completely different scoring methods.

I personally know that those other scores (FAKO's as they are endearingly referred to) drive me nuts so I quit looking at them alltogether.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll quote llecs on this, cuz he lays it out nicely.

"Virtually everyone sells scores, but they are not all FICO scores. If you got scores from the big 3, then very likely 2 or all 3 of them are not FICO scores. Experian and TransUnion do not sell FICO scores on their website. Equifax does sell FICO scores but it is very hidden and difficult to find. It's not on their products page. We call these non-FICO scores, FAKOs, and can easily be as much as a few points to 100+ points off your real FICO when pulled the same day. If it didn't say "FICO" next to the score, then it isn't.

Other companies (e.g. freecreditreport.com, freescore.com, truecredit, creditkarma, Equifax Credit Complete, Quizzle, and dozens of others out there) sell scores, but they are nothing more than gimmicks and lenders don't use them. They do this because they want to avoid paying any fees to FICO and when they say "credit score" people buy it anyway on the assumption that it is a FICO. The scores are off because the formula is different, factors in different things as compared to FICO, and score ranges are different than FICO's (e.g. FICO is 300-850, Vantage is 501-990, PLUS is 330-830, TransRisk is 350-850, and so on)."

Hope that helps!

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very enlightening and sort of disappointing to see such discrepencies between what I though were "real" credit scores.  Thank You for sharing this.  You mentioned Experian does not sell it's fico score on their website.  Then what am I buying if I go to experian.com and "buy" my credit score from them on line? 

http://www.experian.com/

Message 4 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Very enlightening and sort of disappointing to see such discrepencies between what I though were "real" credit scores.  Thank You for sharing this.  You mentioned Experian does not sell it's fico score on their website.  Then what am I buying if I go to experian.com and "buy" my credit score from them on line? 

http://www.experian.com/

What you get from EX is called a "Plus" score. This is what EX says about their Plus score:

Calculated on the PLUS Score model, your Experian Credit Score indicates your relative credit risk level for educational purposes and is not the score used by lenders.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You... Thank You & Thank You for enlightening me .....

My lender ran my credit report and you are absolutely right...... every other "free" and "Karma" credit scores I had was sooooo FAKE and over infated ... The score on MyFico was exactly as my lender stated ... lower than I hoped after having delusions from other Credit Sites but at least now I can work with reality and not FAKE lies ...

xo

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank You... Thank You & Thank You for enlightening me .....

My lender ran my credit report and you are absolutely right...... every other "free" and "Karma" credit scores I had was sooooo FAKE and over infated ... The score on MyFico was exactly as my lender stated ... lower than I hoped after having delusions from other Credit Sites but at least now I can work with reality and not FAKE lies ...

xo

Quote of the day month year!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.