Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different FICO for same info? TU vs Equifax

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Different FICO for same info? TU vs Equifax

I recently pulled my credit scores from myFICO for both Equifax (688) and Trans Union (717). I went through line by line and the reports contain exactly the same information and yet there is a marked difference in the FICO score? I thought FICO was a algorithm used to calculate a risk score. Shouldn't it generate the same number for the same information? Am I missing something?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Different FICO for same info? TU vs Equifax

There's a different formula for each CRA so it is very rare to have matching scores. 30 points is a significant difference though. I'd look through each report. An account on one and noth the other can easily throw your scores off. Other items like balance differences, differences in util, baddies on one and not the other, even a date difference can easily throw your scores off 30+ points. The version of TU FICO found on here also treats some CCs, HELOCs, and LOCs differently with regards to the CL and that can throw off your scores by that much too.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Different FICO for same info? TU vs Equifax

The last time I pulled a FICO from both TU and EQ at the same time, they were 33 points off.

EQ 708 and TU 741.

However, I do have lots of differences between the two reports.  Different accounts reporting, different accounts dropping off, different inquiries, even a different number of accounts, slightly different opening dates.  I've been monitoring them for a few years now and for me, the three different CR's always have some variations. Even though they appear basically the same, the differences become crystal clear when I put the info on a spreadsheet.

But I have to say, I do like my TU score a tad more.  Smiley Very Happy   It's always higher. 

For DH, a 23 point difference is the closest his TU and EQ scores have ever been - the current spread is much more.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.