Did you mean: 

Discussing FICO score whilst in a serious Relationship

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discussing FICO score whilst in a serious Relationship

ilovepizza wrote:
Doesn't everyone discuss their finances before getting married? lol

Many don't discuss their finances after getting married.
Message 21 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Doesn't everyone discuss their finances before getting married? lol

Many don't discuss their finances after getting married.

Sad, but true.

frugal (OP), I can't stand it any more: "whilst" --are you British?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 22 of 30
frugal
New Contributor

Sad, but true.

frugal (OP), I can't stand it any more: "whilst" --are you British?

Haulingupthescore,

No, I am not Bristish. Smiley Very Happy My ex girlfriend was British, so I use it now and again.  This is a very interesting topic. It's amazing that 50% of divorces are a result of money issues.  
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

frugal wrote: It's amazing that 50% of divorces are a result of money issues.
I'd bet a number of that 50% got married for money and not love to begin with. I think people find out how much they care about when times get really bad. This is just my opinion.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 05-16-2008 06:57 PM
Message 24 of 30
marty56
Super Contributor

ilovepizza wrote:

frugal wrote: It's amazing that 50% of divorces are a result of money issues.
I'd bet a number of that 50% got married for money and not love to begin with. I think people find out how much they care about when times get really bad. This is just my opinion.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 05-16-2008 06:57 PM

I agree.  For better or worse must have gotten a wavier for FICO score.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

To know an exact FICO isnt a good way to gauge a sweeties financial future with you. People change, they make mistakes, and sometimes it takes a long time to recover from that. People with good credit can screw it up too. A 700 today isnt a guarantee of a 700 or even 650 next year.

If someone asked me my FICO I'd probably dump my drink on them (Seymour is my birds name, Im not a man, and us women do these things, mmmkay). Thats like asking me my weight. And like my weight, you just have to look at me and my habbits to make a good guess. If someone is honest, has a good education, a good job, is responsible and doesnt seem to using CCs all the time or be pressed for cash, you're usually good.

Of course paying for a cruise to Puerto Rico could mean he's/she's either finacialy stable, or totally maxed out. You have to use your intuition.

Discussing finances is OK, exact FICO scores... a whole other ball game. Pun intended.

As for buying a home together, I suggest (especialy for women, who for too many centuries were dependant on men) to have a home before the marriage. I may be old school in some ways ("oops is that wine pouring down your head"), but I do believe a gal should be able to hold her own.
Message 26 of 30
marty56
Super Contributor

Seymour wrote:
To know an exact FICO isnt a good way to gauge a sweeties financial future with you. People change, they make mistakes, and sometimes it takes a long time to recover from that. People with good credit can screw it up too. A 700 today isnt a guarantee of a 700 or even 650 next year.

They could be a "player" in the FICO sense.

For me it more important how people get to where they are not where they are.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

We could always change the Vows. For better or worst, or until your FICO drops below 660. Or is that in the prenup? I am so kidding of course.
Message 28 of 30
kball64
Frequent Contributor

This is something that I experienced first hand with my boyfriend.  I think on our second date (2 yrs ago) he asked me how much CC debt I had.  I told him the truth - it was around $7k.  But what I didn't mention is that I was delinquent on all accounts and facing collections.  We continued to date but I was miserable inside because the CA calls were increasing and I felt so guilty about hiding this from him.  He's extremely responsible and I knew he would cringe if he knew the truth.  So I started to pay everything off - one account at a time.  By the end of 2007 I was completely CC debt free.  No more CA's calling..yay!   In January I decided to check my scores.  Low 500's... bad but no outstanding debt owed.  In February I started working on my scores (thanks to this board) and I finally disclosed to my boyfriend what my scores were.  I admitted that my Wells Fargo CC had been closed and CO'd but it was paid in full. 

Much to my surprise, he wasn't angry or showed any disappointment towards me.  He frankly said "it is what it is, and the important thing is that you're fixing it".  What a relief and weight off my shoulders!  Now we've been together 2 yrs and living together and I can't wait for him to propose marriage one day.  I've always known I wanted to marry him but felt so bad because of the secret I was hiding and knew I could never do it if I didn't tell him the truth. 

Telling the truth will set you free!  I did for me Smiley Happy
Message 29 of 30
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

kball, I highly commend you, both for full disclosure to your other,and for sharing that story with us.  You demonstate what this forum is all about...... learning, and then using that knowledge to make a change. You are lucky that Mr. Responsible appreciates your efforts and honesty.
Most of us have also had our heads in the sand, at one time or another, about managing our debt, and thus our FICO.  If not, we would not be on here, trying to learn.  So you are with us!
It is nice to hear such honesty, and I wish you continued financial maturity!!!!!!

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-19-2008 10:43 PM
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.