Dispute Caused Score to DROP

I recently purchased a brand new car and took that initial hit on my score for the new account (only 6 points) taking me from a 703 to 697. I disputed an item on my report, so they could make sure the info (which is an OLD charge-off from Amex) is correct and everything came back exactly the same...except my Equifax FICO dropped to 668. My Trans Union didn't drop much (708 to 699 after new car loan added). Yet, I am really concerned about the HUGE dip in Equifax as I am going to to be moving in a month and have to apply for apartments. I talked to MyFico and they said its normal for a score to drop when something is in dispute. But the investigation ended in a week and nothing changed, so why the huge drop? Will it hurt my rental application?
Valued Contributor

Re: Dispute Caused Score to DROP

If the item that was in dispute was verified and nothing changed with it. then the drop in your score is not coming from that dispute. It is coming from something else that changed on your report. Credit scores change from day to day because your report changes from day to day. If nothing else, your accounts are aging every day but I would look over your reports cause something else is causing that drop that the dispute it sounds like.

390/14001100/13001500/15001699/2000Prepaid ,,Recent scores:FICO EX 632,EQ 635,TU 632.. If youlike this could you please give me a kudo by clicking that blue button over to the left? Thanks.Link to my Rebuild Log
Moderator Emeritus

OP, check the date of the disputed baddies. Creditors have to update the reported date and in some situations that can drop your score, espeically if it has been years since they last updated.

The drop was solely from the dispute, as the alert I received confirmed it. Nothing on my report changed and the account didn't change either. According to the woman I spoke to at MyFico, she says that this is normal and that after the "dispute period", it should bounce back. I'm hoping this is the case and that it won't prevent me from renting an apartment.
Epic Contributor

When an OC account is in dispute certain aspects are removed from scoring.  CAs and PRs are fully scored.

If the dispute is resolved make sure the dispute comment is removed.

I'm not sure what "OC", "CA" or "PR" mean as I am relatively new to this. :-)
Epic Contributor

Sorry,

OC - Original Creditor

CA - 3rd party collection

PR - Public record

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.