Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispute TL = score increase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dispute TL = score increase?

NOT asking in the hopes of "working the system" -- I just want to make sure that we're NOT working the system. And please, if I'm violating the ToS by asking, PLEASE feel MORE than free to delete my thread!!

Though if you do delete my thread, please holler at me via PM with an answer, if that's possible.

We were supposed to have some lates removed from DH's SL. Almost 90 days later, and the balances not being updated and both of us getting antsy, we disputed the balances and added the side note (where applicable) that the creditor had agreed to remove some lates (roughly 6 months of recent lates -- from April '08 to Dec '07). That was last night.

This afternoon, as a lark (not thinking that he'd actually GET it), we apped DH for a Walmart store card. He got it. Great, right? I posted about this card in the Credit Card forum only to be met with shock -- I guess shock that DH would be approved with such lousy (see my siggie) credit. Which started us thinking ....

... that being approved for the card is NOT great if we got it solely by disputing the SL. We don't want it if we got it dishonestly. And we'd like to be reassured (please!! If possible) that DH's credit was THE factor in getting the approval, rather than simply the dispute.

Ya'lls answer might decide whether I get to see another "day" ... DH is FURIOUS that he might have been approved under false pretenses. And yup, since he doesn't know pretty much a durn thing about FICOs, he's blaming ME. Smiley Sad

Any opinions? Please?? TIA!!!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute TL = score increase?

He would have qualified for the Wally World card with or without the artificial score boost from the dispute.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dispute TL = score increase?

@Anonymous wrote:

He would have qualified for the Wally World card with or without the artificial score boost from the dispute.

Whew!! Thank you, Timothy!!! Smiley Happy

Side note: DH persuaded me to check his FICO for EQ (one of the CRAs we disputed the balance and lates with) and there was NO change in his FICO (and EQ does acknowledge the dispute in the SW report)!! Whew, again!!

Like I said, we REALLY don't want to be dishonest or even attempt to work the system. And it was scary and disheartening to think that we MIGHT have been! Some may disagree with our POV, but we're REALLY glad the system ain't easy to manipulate!! YAY!!

Again, thank you so very much, Timothy!! If it weren't for you -- and the others here like you -- we'd never have hit the 600s!! Thank you!!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.