cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputed Account Balance On Old Account - Transunion Removed Account Completely.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disputed Account Balance On Old Account - Transunion Removed Account Completely.

I had an account that showed up on my Transunion Credit Report. The account had been closed in 2000. It had a $9300 credit limit but was showing a balance of $2539. This probably wasnt even my account. It was probably my fathers.  I disputed the account balance. Transunion removed the account entirely from my report. I was hoping they would just put the balance at $Zero since I could really use any positives on my account right now.

Does anyone know how this will affect my score?

TU - 645 EQ - 675 Experian - 690

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputed Account Balance On Old Account - Transunion Removed Account Completely.

I would pull your scores and see if they went up or down. The impact will depend on your overall credit picture.
Message 2 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Disputed Account Balance On Old Account - Transunion Removed Account Completely.

Hi dfgdfg... (nice screename, btw Smiley Wink). What other revolving accounts do you have? As Tuscani stated, it will depend on your credit picture.

If you could post the following information, it would help:

How long is your credit history?
What is your AAoA?
What are your current balances/CLs?
Are there any other baddies?
What does your credit mix look like?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long is your credit history? 11 Years
What is your AAoA? 7 Years
What are your current balances/CLs? Current balances all Zero
Are there any other baddies? Late Car Payment June 2002, Collection for $298 for Sprint PCS date of last Activity August 2002, Chargeoff March 2002.
What does your credit mix look like?Not sure what this means. No debt. Open Macy's Account.  Inquiry scheduled to come off February 12th with 2 other inquirys remaning. TU 647, Exuifax 675, Experian 690.

Ive written a goodwill letter to the loan people for the late car payment to see if they will let it come off early instead of waiting to June 2009. Also wrote a Pay For Delete letter to the Sprint PCS collection offering more than they requested if they will delete it. going to let the other charge off drop off the report next month.

Also I know not having revolving credit hurts my score, but I dont want to apply for a credit card and get the ding from the hard pull if I am going to get denied for the card. Any suggestions on a card I should apply for? 

Message 4 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Seeing that your AAoA is pretty healthy, and your oldest account is 11 years (provided that charged off account isn't any older), I wouldn't expect a dip (though that's a hard call with the FICO algorithms).

Your baddies are old and about to drop. I would wait for those to drop off, and then apply for a prime card. I think that you stand a pretty good shot at getting one, because you won't have any baddies on your CR. Your initial CLs may not be too great, but you will have a prime card that would grow with you. As far as which card--Smiley Indifferent, that's outta my element. Those on the CC board are expert there. Pose your question over there, with as much detail as possible and you will get some ideas. You might want to use that Macy's card every few months or so to keep it active and reporting.

FICO looks at credit mix, as a factor in scoring--revolving, installment (including mortgage), store branded cards. The better the mix, the better the score will behave.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive been trying to use the Macy's card every other month for about a $50 purchase, and I pay it off in its entirety when I get the bill. The originaly CL on it was $300 and they bumped me up to $400 this week.
Message 6 of 10
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Don't allow it to post such a high balance. Go in a few days before the statement date and pay it down to like $10 or something. Of course, pay in full by the due date. Then, you should see a little score increase from that.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had this happen to me with accounts that I was an authorized user.  There was a paid balance still left on the account.  I disputed with all 3 CRA and within 2 days of the dispute TU deleted this off my report Smiley Mad  When I called them to have a fit and they said I was not liable for the balance bause I was AU so it was deleted.  I had to call the creditor and have them reupdate our credit report.  After 30 days, I'm still waiting. Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I pulled my Fico scores, with this being the only change on my report, and my score on TU jumped from 647 to 695.  I am certainly glad I disputed that account. Its crazy how many times I have looked at my credit reports and never noticed that account showing a balance. I guess you always focus in on the accounts that are marked derogatory, and do not pay much attention to an account listed as in good standing.  So everyone out there, make sure you check to make sure your good accounts, or good closed accounts are also showing accurate information.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me, with a closed AMEX showing 11k balance, A positive history TL is not actually postive if it is reporting a huge balance and after it was removed completely my score went up about 35 points
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.