cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disputing a bill that was not my fault

tag
Steph217

hi all im all new to credit report and recently got approved for a cc. i got answers here about the cc. i recently pulled the free annual report of course i didnt get any credit score but for the new 6 months i wont, so i looked at my report and there was an open account from a hospital bill 1 year ago that was not my fault, of course they dont know that but now its there. someone crash into us and now we have a lawsuit going on. so should i dispute this charges and said that my lawyer (maybe give his info) will take care of it once we reach a settlement. should i dispute this or no.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Disputing a bill that was not my fault

Based upon the info provided, it seems to be your bill.

Did the hospital treat you? I'm assuming they did.

If the hospital performed services for you, you owe them money. If you are trying to collect from somebody else then that is a separate debt - or WILL be a separate debt if you are successful in your lawsuit.

Message 2 of 10
Steph217

thanks yea i guess is my billed i got treated but my lawyer has to pay for this.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was a passenger in a terrible accident in college and my health insurance would not cover my medical bills so I had to sue. Your laywer should have sent the hopsital a notice that it was in litigation, which typically holds off any attempt to collect the bill until settlement is made.  Then if you win, the attorney pays all bills directly out of the settlemement. If you lose you are still responsible. It is your responsibility though to turn over all of the bills as soon as you recieve them to the attorney, otherwise they have no knowledge of the bill and are unable to notify the hopspital. Did you do that? Did you follow up with the hopsital when you continued to recieve the bills? I also had a letter and a form any medical office had to sign before treating me when I went for follow up treatment which made the office agree beforehand not to collect until the case was settled. Make sure you have this for any future visits.

Message 4 of 10
Steph217

thanks so much, but no i never sent the bills to the lawyer i moved out right away and now at my present address i dont have any. my case is almost over, but after it gets closed the lawyer should paid the hospital and it should said closed and paid right?

Message 5 of 10
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Ultimately, you were the patient, you received the treatment and you are responsible for the bill.  Now, a third-party (person who hit you) is responsible to compensate you for your medical bills.  Until that compensation arrives, absent an agreement with a medical provider to wait for payment, you have to pay the medical bill.  Your lawyer is not responsible for paying your bills, especially if you never sent him/her the bill.  SOME lawyers will agree to advance costs for their clients and pay these bills.  But the way it works the majority of the time is that the provider takes out a lien for the amount that's owed and submits that to the attorney.  When the settlement or lawsuit concludes and funds are received, the attorney pays any liens they have received. 

Whether you get a settlement or not, you are still responsible for the bill however.  Once it's paid, the account should say paid/closed.  BUT, that doesn't mean it will come off your reports.  It will still be a collection account and will hurt your scores.   

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 6 of 10
Steph217

omg i guess it already hurt my credit well im new to this so new i can get a score yet, but ill make sure i paid at least , thanks

Message 7 of 10
IowaGuy
Contributor

Not your fault, but your responsibility.

Try to get an agreement with the hospital to remove negative information in return for payment. tell them the truth and be nice. If that doesn't work, hipaa and pay them.
700 Club
Amex Gold PR, Main card, Role: rewards
Chase Amazon Visa, Role: Amex backup
Pen Fed Promise, Role: low APR, balances
Amazon Store Card, Role: 0% financing
Message 8 of 10
Steph217

Thanks I guess that w I have to end up doing thanks
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

LEIN. That was the word I could not find in my scatterbrain. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.