Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do CRA scores update daily or....

tag
tbone74
Regular Contributor

Do CRA scores update daily or....

A question I was wondering....I noticed my FICO scores change around the first week of the month...and, if I check them mid-month, or even at the end of the month...they're usually always the same.  

My question, do the CRA's only update scores certain times w/in the month...or is it a fluid thing that happens w/ changes to my report?  I was approved for a CC at the beginning of the month.  The inquiry dropped my points TU -8 & EQ -3.  However, once the new card posted a week later (EQ)...my score stayed the same?  Any thoughts....

Starting Score: TU04: 603 EQ: 613
Current Score: TU04: 667/EQ: 670/ EXP(LO Pull): 676
Goal Score: 710

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do CRA scores update daily or....

@tbone74 wrote:

A question I was wondering....I noticed my FICO scores change around the first week of the month...and, if I check them mid-month, or even at the end of the month...they're usually always the same.  

My question, do the CRA's only update scores certain times w/in the month...or is it a fluid thing that happens w/ changes to my report?  I was approved for a CC at the beginning of the month.  The inquiry dropped my points TU -8 & EQ -3.  However, once the new card posted a week later (EQ)...my score stayed the same?  Any thoughts....

Yes, your FICO scores are fluid, and happen as changes post to your report. 

Depending on the accounts you already have open, and the type of account you opened, along with the impact (or lack of) on your AAofA, new accounts may or may not case a FICO score ding.  Some new accounts may even yield a jump in scores.

So, it looks like you received a ding for inquiries (happens - sometimes there's no ding), but were not dinged for the new account. 

Looks like you're having fun watching the FICO score game Smiley Wink.

Message 2 of 4
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

This can be a little tricky.  While your report is constantly changing, you don't technically have a score until you request one.  You are more likely to see score changes early in the month because most creditors report to the CRAs at the end or the beginning of the month.  As far as your score changes for your CC app, depending on your report, typically you will see a score drop in the range that you got for new inquiries.  There are a lot of factors involved, including if you already had previous inquiries.  It's the same for a new account reporting, depending on your profile, including your current number of CCs, you could see a drop, increase, or no change.  There is no way to predict it.  But if the new account would have caused a change in your score, it would have cause the change the moment it was reported.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JoeBJay20 wrote:
This can be a little tricky.  While your report is constantly changing, you don't technically have a score until you request one.  You are more likely to see score changes early in the month because most creditors report to the CRAs at the end or the beginning of the month.  As far as your score changes for your CC app, depending on your report, typically you will see a score drop in the range that you got for new inquiries.  There are a lot of factors involved, including if you already had previous inquiries.  It's the same for a new account reporting, depending on your profile, including your current number of CCs, you could see a drop, increase, or no change.  There is no way to predict it.  But if the new account would have caused a change in your score, it would have cause the change the moment it was reported.

+1.  With exception to: You are more likely to see score changes early in the month because most creditors report to the CRAs at the end or the beginning of the month.  Creditors report at all times during the month.  Very few of my & DH's accounts report at the end or beginning of the month.  For most (not all) creditors, they report on the statement date.  I suppose it would be great if they all posted at or about the same time!!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.