Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Tax Liens hurt less once aged?

tag
adamkingadam
Regular Contributor

Do Tax Liens hurt less once aged?

Does a state tax lien hurt your score less as they age? Or do they only stop hurting when they fall off?  I have two paid  CA state tax liens from 2010 and 2011 that from my research are nearly impossible to remove.  You would think a state this large would have some knd of "fee" that you could pay once a lien is paid to have it removed from your CR. Liens are filed for many reasons, and there dont seem to be any way to help people out who pay them responsibly. 

Starting Scores: 1/1/2016
EX 600 EQ 598 TU 610
Current Fico Scores (9/2016):EX: 674 EQ: 678 TU: 689
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do Tax Liens hurt less once aged?

The impact will lessen as they get older but won't completely go away until removed unfortunately.  Right there with you with a trivial Cali tax lien that was paid a few years ago.  Sigh.

        
Message 2 of 6
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

I feel your pain. I want my 2 removed so bad but NYS wont budge. 

Started 6/2014 EX 594 EQ 617 TU 580 FICO's Goal is 740's and up
Message 3 of 6
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Me too! State of MI stuck with it until 2020! Smiley Sad

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 4 of 6
IrishPM
Frequent Contributor

I had a federal tax lien filed in the state of California from April 2005 that I paid off and received the certificate of lien release in August 2005. I disputed the item after a few years and the credit reporting agencies wouldn't budge in removing it because it was still on the books at the county assessor's office in Salinas and it was "verified as accurate".....however, there is good news. I just got an update from Experian today and they removed this public record completely from my file. That's 9 years after the release of lien....

Message 5 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@IrishPM wrote:

I had a federal tax lien filed in the state of California from April 2005 that I paid off and received the certificate of lien release in August 2005. I disputed the item after a few years and the credit reporting agencies wouldn't budge in removing it because it was still on the books at the county assessor's office in Salinas and it was "verified as accurate".....however, there is good news. I just got an update from Experian today and they removed this public record completely from my file. That's 9 years after the release of lien....

Ah, hate to say this but you could've gotten it off a few years ago Smiley Happy.

IRS Fresh Start program, pretty simple process to get a paid IRS lien withdrawn, after which a dispute took care of it for me with the bureaus.

        
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.